Question for the machinists

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I've got a cylinder head that needs to have the head gasket surface milled slightly. .010" ought to clean it up. The head is aluminum (DOHC Neon if it matters).

I've also got a Bridgeport J-head mill.

I've read where the head gasket surface needs to be "such and so" Ra number. Is that achievable with a flycutter on a vertical mill or should I send this head off?
Thanks
John

Did you throw a straight edge on them to see the shape they are in? Last time I check it's like $50-75 per head to get a straightening mill down. If it gets messed up, it's not on you.

If your mill is real tight and the quil dead nuts verticle to the table you might be able to get satisfactory results. The problem is it won't clean up in one pass, you would need several to cover the entire surface. I have a bridgeport in my garage and I would send it out.

another thing you can do is take a flat peace of steel and rap sand paper around it just make sure that the steel is flat. and sand the head till it is flat. yes this may sound crazy but i got the idea from watching horse power on spike they did a biuld on a budget and that was one of the things they did to the heads. you may even be able to look it up on powerblock tv

Have a shop do it - and yes - it needs to be cut very smooth. Otherwise it will leak again.

If you do the sandpaper on flat surface trick make sure you glue it down with contact cement. If not the paper can curl and take more on the edge of the head than the center.

Have a shop do it. The Neon head gaskets are MLS like Cometics. Needs a very smooth finish.

My machinist does the sand paper method on heads needing only a very light amount of material removed. He uses a heavy duty belt sander lol just lays them on there and lets the sander do the work. I think he marks the low area with dye-chem or however its spelled. Kind of like guide coat on body work.

Do the above suggestions.
When you put it back together use permetex copper spray on the gasket.
Do not put antifreeze in it for at least 24 hrs.

-
Back