Question for those who like Flowmasters...

-

gold68dart

Reaction score
I just put on a set of Dynomax ultra flows and I'm not happy with the sound. They are loud just don't like the tone. My brother has the original 40s on his mild 340 duster and it sounds good. However, I am trying to decide on either the Super 44s or the original 40 series mufflers for my 416 stroker....also running TTI step headers and 2.5" all the way back with an X pipe if that matters. I have not heard the Super 44s in person though...does anyone run them and how do they sound?

This is my favorite sounding small block. It has 40 series Flowmasters on it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbVJwJrbhAg"]The 71 Blue 'Cuda off to a new home. - YouTube[/ame]

another of the same car...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzFpRF08QU"]1971 Plymouth 'Cuda - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a Chevelle with Super 44's on it. It sounds really good too.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA_lL4FjnrY"]Hot Chevelle Burnout with Flowmaster Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

Ive got the super 44 on my dodge 1500 360. it sounds good not to loud but real nice idle and tone when gassin it.

My Duster currently has Magnaflows and I'm thinking replacing them with Flowmasters down the road. I'm a Flowmaster fan. I don't like mufflers with stuffing in it. I prefer chambered mufflers.

I used to have Flowmaster Original 40 series on a '65 Mustang with a 302 and full length headers. the exhaust was dumped under the car before the 9" rear axle. I loved the sound! I do admit that it did drone at certain RPM's but the sound of a Flowmaster is very distinct.

I'm actually between the Original 40's or the Delta Flow 40's. The Delta Flow should drone a bit less. Check out the Flowmaster site and there's a chart that tells you how they compare in terms of interior and exterior loudness.

The question is, how obnoxiously loud do you want it? LOL

i have the original 40s on mine.it was too loud.now it has four.sounds good not too loud...

I have 3" flow 40's on my 416 fish into dumps. I didn't like the raspyness and had the shop add a 8" (called 14" cause of the ends) 3" cherry bombs before the flows and it sounds perfect to me.

I had the original 40s on with my tired stock 318, sounded really nice. I'm using the same mufflers with my new 360 with longtubes, should sound even better!

For sound, I like the Flowmasters the best. I have 40 series on both my cars.
But performance and flow is now more important to me. My next muffler will be Magnaflows. Straight through design. At the top of the flow charts on a regular basis. Flow = Power.

IALWAYS use the 40 series Flowmaster, and everyone always says they want their car to sound like mine. I like it for sure and I get tons of compliments........... as one old guy put it, "Now thats what a real muscle car should sound like!"

Now the super 44's IMO, total garbage. May as well buy the cheap $35 no name muff's from the local parts store cause thats what they sound like.

I have the Dynomax as well on my car (moderately built 360). I think its way to quiet and not the sound I want. I was looking to go to the Original 40 series, because that sound is perfect to me.

There is NOTHING like the crispy but deep sound of Flowmaster 40's.

For the street, run a crossover pipe and full tailpipes. Those X-pipe headpipes
may make some power but I do not like what they do to the sound either.

Check some sound bites out of Borla mufflers. Flowmaster uses chambers which hurt hp. The Borla is a sound absorbing style muffler that waste no power. They do not sound like a Flowmaster,but have a unique sound that is like no other. Take a listen and then decide. Just my 02 worth.

havent heard the 44's in person. I have a set of the original 40's 2 1/4 offset/offset dual pipe on my 318 and it sounds amazing. the tone is great and the volume is perfect. not obnoxious but enough to turn some heads when its going down the road.

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
318 LA/904 Trans
Holley 650 electric choke/CFM vacuum secondaries
Edelbrock 318/360 performer intake
Performance inc electronic distributor w/high output coil
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster 40's

I have the 40's on my Mercury Capri (302ci) and I love the sound they give. It does drone some but that doesn't really bother me. It has an x-pipe on it which makes it more raspy. I did prefer the sound more when it was an h-pipe but that's another story. I'm not sure what's on the Valiant (haven't felt like crawling under it to look - other problems to deal with first).

I had Super 44s on my old 318 truck. Manifolds to 2.5" H-pipe to two 44s and 3 inch tips. Was pretty quiet but had a nice sound. With headers I think it'd be perfect.

orig.40"s on 360 with tti headers and full 2.5 exhaust.i love em,some dont,some hate em.mine dont drone and are not too loud.i personally love the flowemaster sound.and no one has said otherwise to me.

There is NOTHING like the crispy but deep sound of Flowmaster 40's.

For the street, run a crossover pipe and full tailpipes. Those X-pipe headpipes
may make some power but I do not like what they do to the sound either.

I do like Flowmaster's,in the right situations. The quote above,made a HUGE difference on 40 series behind a healthy Chev rat.It's all personal here.

My K10 with 305, headers, 3" inch pipe with 40 series flowmasters that dump right behind the cab sound awesome at idle and when cruising. A lot of people turn around and give me a thumbs up when I'm driving in town. On the highway it is just a loud drone and the reason I still haven't hooked up my radio.......

Still love it though

-
Back