Question for you dash refinishing experts out there...?

-

tnts72

Reaction score
So I am about to convert this gold interior duster to black. My question, the dash has a textured finish to it currently. It is slightly rough and basically a matte finish. Is this normal or should I hit it with some 0000 steel wool to smooth it out prior to cleaning and applying the satin finish dye. I am hesitant to sand on it just for fear of keeping the texture consistent across the dash... Any advice?? I am thinking I might spray the glovebox door and see how it turns out, then evaluate.

Yes, the slightly rough finish is correct. No don't sand if off unless you want it to be a smooth finish. If you choose to refinish it back to the original type of finish here's is two products/methods I've used with good success: Satin Black paint for dashes from Totally Auto: http://www.totallyautoinc.com/paint/paint.html, and I've used a good quality rattle can flat black. The difference is in the painting method, the Totally Auto dries with the correct semi-rough finish, easy and done. But, to get the correct finish with the regular flat black you need to spray the paint at a further distance from the dash so it mists the paint and forms the rough finish. With either of the paints use multiple light coats and clean and prep the dash before any painting.

The dash was originally painted with a suede finish to reduce glare or reflection. I would not use a glossy paint as it would be distracting.
Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties sells the original paint but it is expensive and only available in pints. I found that I couldn't get an even, consistent finish when I tried painting my dash with various spray cans. Eventually, I had my local powder coater media blast and use black fine texture mat finish which was a perfect match to my original.

I used SEMs Landau black and dry sprayed the last coat to get the color and finish match to everything else.

Awesome replies fellas, looking forward to seeing how this thing turns out. Plan on hitting it with some satin paint and I will try staying back off it aways to keep the finish consistent. Will be posting the pictures here once I get it squared away. Planned to remove the dash, but after finding the front row of bolts under the windshield seal... Hmm - painting it in the car!

Nice work AIV, that turned out awesome! Wonder if brake fluid would take the paint off the chrome emblems the previous owner painted right over....? Not sure it if would damage the chrome or not?

Thanks! It's not perfect but I'm happy with it and by no means an expert. Lol
I just took my time.

Not sure about the chrome. I guess It really depends on the integrity of the piece and how long you leave it to soak. And go easy. I can't say for sure.

Nice work AIV, that turned out awesome! Wonder if brake fluid would take the paint off the chrome emblems the previous owner painted right over....? Not sure it if would damage the chrome or not?

If the emblems you speak of are made of cast pot metal, Goof Off, lacquer thinner, etc.. will remove the paint only. If the emblems are plastic, most anything that would remove the paint will also remove that vacuum metalized chrome.

Metal Plymouth emblems for the trunk and the hood. Got the hood emblem off, planned to soak it in some lacquer thinner / acetone. Rear emblem is the stick on variety may have to clean it up as best I can and let the body man remove it.

-
Back