Question From a Noobie

-

walkintree

Reaction score
Well...like any self respecting teenager, i have questions, for now i shall limit myself to 2.

First: i know the term dark side refers to a hemi, (specifically a big block? or thats all hemi's can come with? Still don't quite understand that topic in itself...something to do with the shape of the compression chamber, or piston head, or somethin?) BUT, where did the term come from? Did the death star have a hemi or wat?

Secondly: Defintion of a racing term, to drop your tranny, or gears or something when racing. all i know is its a good way to req a tranny overhaul fast.

Thanx!

Compression chamber has the shape of an Hemisphere... this particular design allows the use of only two valves per cylinder but that has to do with fuel economy (more valves per cylinder) and you do not care about fuel economy when you have a HEMI! Another IMPORTANT thing about a hemi is that it loves boost and it is designed for that... no wonder a 500ci Hemi can reach up to 5000Hp!!!

The more you research the Hemi, the more you will see how important it has been to the auto industry on all kinds of levels... including today's new cars. Its a design thats just plain works and works well. My guess about the dark side comment is that it came from Chevy or Ford fans... they can't stand someone "converting" to Chrysler. But they can't deny the 426 Hemi (and all it's cousins) and the real power behind them. Heres a pic of an original 1966 426 Hemi head so you can see the combustion chambers and know what we are talking about. By the way, to drop your tranny simply means you broke it!! Welcome to FABO!

jensyn&charger 025.jpg

Excellent picture Had a Hemi. Excellent.

Wlakintree, as you can plainly see, it looks like the shape of a tennis ball cut in half. (Chamber area) Welcome aboard by the way.

I don't think it was designed for boost, but boy what a response they have. The earliest HEMI designed engine I have found was an Italian 2 or 2.2 litere engine back in the teens or 20's. It's been a long time since I seen pictures of this thing.

The best known HEMI is the 426 HEMI followed by the racing ranks HEMI @ 500 cubic inchs. It is a stroked 426 and based off of it.

Chrysler also had many many different displacement HEMI's before the 426. They range as big as 392 and as little as *I THINK* 276 cubes. They ceased production on the HEMI due to cost and favopred the new wedge design because of it's inexpensive costs.

Then theres the new HEMI of course.

The 426 is a big block. The older ones are also of a large block size, but I'm not so quick to call it a big block because people instantly think parts can be swapped out with 400/383 & 440's. Such is NOT the case.

The new HEMI I have not had a chance to see it's dimentions or weights. But I believe it is closer to a small block. Also since it can be bolted up to earlier S/B parts.

Thanks guys, i've never had that in-depth of an explanation of a hemi. Typically its, "Its got hemispherical heads, now hand me the wrench." Lol, i had the general concept, but this brings my mind to ease.

As for dropping a tranny, i'm sure the term is wrong, but i've only heard it once. Maybe dropping gears? But in a sense that it will help you get up to speed faster on the 1/4. My dad used the term once, and neglected to tell me what exactly he meant by it. Just not to try it. Lol, so i'm rather curious. I know dropping a tranny would mean pulling it. Just like RnR to me means a remove 'n reinstallation, not a drink. Haha.

Anyways, thanks muchly. I'm still gonna try and figure out what my dad was yakin about trannies...

Thanks guys, i've never had that in-depth of an explanation of a hemi. Typically its, "Its got hemispherical heads, now hand me the wrench." Lol, i had the general concept, but this brings my mind to ease.

As for dropping a tranny, i'm sure the term is wrong, but i've only heard it once. Maybe dropping gears? But in a sense that it will help you get up to speed faster on the 1/4. My dad used the term once, and neglected to tell me what exactly he meant by it. Just not to try it. Lol, so i'm rather curious. I know dropping a tranny would mean pulling it. Just like RnR to me means a remove 'n reinstallation, not a drink. Haha.

Anyways, thanks muchly. I'm still gonna try and figure out what my dad was yakin about trannies...

Yea I've heard the term dropping a gear when you miss a shift on a highway tractor and as far as the dark side goes some of us here actually refer to going Mopar as "coming to the light".

Terry

Hahahaa, coming to the light. =) Well, i'm still just dipping my feet. I do drive a bow tie truck. But hey, it gets the road slt and grit of winter, my dart will enjoy the summer sun. Good trade to me.

A nuetral drop? Anybody know anymore? i'm assuming thats something to do with bringing your rpms up to a certain point, and ramming it into drive on an auto, or desired gear on a manual? (think i've heard about something like that, just straight to second from a standstill.) But i'm just making guesses here...tryin to learn! :read2:

You got it right, you put the trans in neutral, rev her up and slam the shifter into gear. The result is a wild launch or burnout, but the transmission is, well, lets say not happy with you for doing that. I remember a few turbo 400's back in the day that saw that fate under my older brothers foot. It's a quick way to trash a trans.

-
Back