Question: How to inspect a new purchase

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I am about to start looking for a dart. I need to know what to look for structurally as far as the unibody is concerned. I can check for rust but I dont know how to tell if the car is a good straight platform to work on or not. Also I dont know any of the specific things to look for that can be a real problem down the road.

One thing I was wondering is if there is any way to measure the cars subframes in relation to each other and if so what are the tolerances. I was thinking that measuring from corner to corner of each subframe in an x pattern and then comparing the two measurments, but I dont know how much the tolerances are to make a car acceptable. I also know that how easy to open and close the doors, trunk lid, body panel gap widths and thats about it. I am planning on buying a car, instantly installing subframes and a six point roll bar to make a stiff chassis for a car built to handle well in the corners. Not too worried about K frames(I already have what I want to use), and I pretty much know all the mechanical ends to check other than the actual body itself.\

Thanks

the experts will pop in, but basically, measuring a mopar for square- you never would by one, as they came of the line not square. 1/2" difference, but they beat other cars.

After all the years the A bodies have been out, they are NOT going to be close to their original tolerances. The best you can do, on your own is get out the trusty measuring sticks and check it out. On the professional level, you can take it to an I-car body shop and let them check it out but be prepared to wait and have money in your pocket. Just my .02.

Bill S.

Take a experienced mopar body man along. And not a mud doctor. Look for frame , torsion cross and upper a-arm bracket rust. Check bumper alignment and make sure the brackets are not slotted for fittment. If it has fresh undercoat they are hiding repairs. and look for mud / putty along the bottom of quarters and rockers. Open the trunk and look up and front into the roof and above the wheel wells with a flashlight. If you see alot of rust up there it is not a good sign it all flows down and settles.

i'd say, from a laymans perspective, if there are holes in the body above the hoodline forget it look for another. major holes in the floors same thing. holes appearing in the engine compartment would be gotcha's as well.

ideally, you dont want to buy a very rusty car unless you have the facilites to do a full off rotisserie rebuild (1 year approx). you could do better by spending 2 extra weeks looking for a clean car

Look in your local phone book for auto inspection services. That's the best way if you don't have experience in that area. If you can't find one, ask your insurance company for a referal.

-
Back