Question on 6 volt systems

-

68gts340

Reaction score
here is the deal, just picked up a 1940 ply. coupe, and today started checking it over. it is a 6 volt for sure and i have read that all mopar 6v 's are positive ground .. can any one confirm this ?... second question, the battery is installed neg ground, and the car will start with a hot wire ( no keys ) ... the lights work ,havent tried much else yet . what if any damage has been done ? and i assume i need to switch it back to pos.ground ?. if i remember right the only parts affected by the wrong polarity would be the coil, generator ( that should flash back to the right direction ) i dont know about the starter motor ? ..just the coil was wired up by the hot wire so no power has been run to any thing else..
the car is in good shape and if it checks out ok it may just keep on living as a neat old stocker... it needs minor body work , and interior redone, some floor work , but so far it looks like a pretty quick fix to get it back into being a cool old driver.
strange how things work out , I got this car from the retailer that wanted to buy my GTS, we ended up making a deal on my nova and his coupe . both of us are happy with the deal and i got to keep my GTS. it is no longer for sale. thanks for everyones help and interest ..Ron ........oh yea...photos tomorrow .

Congrats on your score, but it's "tomorrow" already.

LETS SEE SOME PICS!!!!:-D

good news , it is fixed , and so far no problems resulted from being backwards. now if i can get this stupid digital camera to download.....

yes they are all pos ground your heater blower motor might be out though, make sure to get 6volt light bulbs or the electrical might act like it is not working properly. It is possible to convert to neg ground but there isn't really a point. my 53 had some similar problems

I'm surprised to hear that the starter spun the right direction if it was hooked up backwards. Usually they will spin the opposite way hooked up backwards and won't engage since the Bendix is designed to kick out when it spins a certain direction. The only other things that I can think of that might be damaged when hooking up one backwards are the gauges if it has any. Also a radio don't like backwards voltage, that is if it has one of them.

BTW: good to hear you got a deal that makes you happy. Those 40 Plymouth coupes are neat cars.

-
Back