Question on Carter AVS Carb 4618????

-

1969SWINGER340

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask a question about AVS Carbs. Most of the AVS carbs I have seen over the years have two Air idle set screws at the front. I have a 4619, 69 440 c.i. auto carb that the set screws are not present, and only one set style screw is present in the middle center of the carb body. What is this, and how does this work compared to the two set screw style? Pictured is first the 4618 I have (single screw), and below is a 4640, (double screws) Both are 69 440 auto carbs, the 4640 is an a/c carb. Any help would be great. Thanks. Mark

4618.jpg

Would the air bleed screw help my idle issue because of my possibly too big cam?

Note sure of the screw thing yet. I did try the old hot rodder trip, and put the 440 carb on the 340. The original 340 auto carb worked better. The car slowed down 1.5 mph in 1/4 and 4 to 5 thents. I guess I will stick with the stock smaller 625 cfm, instead of the 440 carb 725 cfm.

k3522 said:
Would the air bleed screw help my idle issue because of my possibly too big cam?
No, it is to basic. You can not adjust it like a Holley for the fuel curve.
If your cam is possibly to big, the best way to adjust the carb for the cam is to just deleate the step up springs to dail in the idle. Find the vaccum reading and divided by 2 for the proper spring to use.

Big overlap cams tend to run rich at a idle. Reason list is long.
I have seen guys that do more racing than street driving stick in a super stiff spring to keep the piston and rod assembly up no matter what and tune the carb for acceleration/WOT throttle like application. Then stick in the lightest spring.
These guys are tuned for more wide open throttle life than anything.

Never ran one, but in a very real sense of a comparo between it and a Carter, there both about the same in what the do, how they do and react. A basic carb and thats it.
If your looking to seriously dial in the carb with a big cam, you'll need a carb with adjustable air bleeds. Also a 4 corner idle system.

Then think about a Demon with Idle Eaze.
(I think thats how that goes.)

-
Back