Question on steering shaft couplers

-

Tylan

Reaction score
I was looking online for a coupler rebuild kit and found one on Autozone's website. The photo represented what looks like the right parts but their automatic compatibility filter said otherwise. Are there different styles in A-bodies? I'd imagine it's a pretty universal part.

they differ between power and manual steering and IIRC there’s an early 3” length and later 3.5” but im
no expert

you got a rounded seal or the very early rectangle one that I never see. Rebuild kits should be the same for power or manual: 2 shoes, seal, maybe a spring washers or clip, sometimes 2 cardboard squares that no one seems to know what are for.

sometimes 2 cardboard squares that no one seems to know what are for.
Several years ago I was at a Mopar parts meeting and one of the packaging reps was there.
I asked what the two cardboard pieces were for and the guy had no clue what I was talking about. Several other parts guys confirmed what I was talking about.
His only guess was "dunnage".
Mopar dropped those same squares in MAP sensors, Some fuel injectors, and a few other parts. Still no clue as to why.

I'm glad I'm not the only person to notice these! I thought maybe they were oil pads for the shoes that slipped into the coupler but if they made it into injectors, that theory is all wet. Maybe a cheap desiccant?

Last edited:
-
Back