question on these exhaust manifolds

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
My '68 Barracuda's 383 has a 1968 date code and HP designation. I found the manifold numbers identified in a reference chart below as:
383 1968-69 Barracuda& Dart / Right 2863900
383 1968-69 383 Magnum / Left 2843992

So what is this telling me about the manifolds? they are not a matched pair or what? Not clear what 'Magnum' means?
I have read that the 383 Magnum (starting in 1968) used the 440 Magnum heads, camshaft, and exhaust manifolds and the engine was advertised at 335 hp (250 kW; 340 PS).

Last edited:
I believe the manifolds are A body specific and some what rare, not the same as B body or other larger cars because of the space constraints.
magnum is the word associated with a hp motor.

even the 440 m code cars had specific manifolds different than the 383 and a lot more rare.

so probably got the magnum heads anyway - I know it got a mild racing cam not long ago.

guessing does no good my friend. start with these 2 sites to find your answers.

I'm not real familiar with 68 and earlier cars or big blocks, I have much more to learn. check the drivers side head in the front of the motor just below the valve cover. manufacturing information may be stamped there. that is where it is on a small block. also find the casting number by removing the valve cover, its cast into the outside of one of the exhaust runners I believe or maybe an intake runner.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books this is mopar parts catalog.

Mopar Tech Pages this site has a lot of tech on it.

cool - great reference info -will check DS head.
MOPAROFFICIAL not sure what you mean..

driver side manifold is the model specific one, due to space constraints.
passenger side has much more room to fit so its a more "general" piece, multiple applications.

OK... I'm saying then, if it's a driver side magnum manifold then so is the engine - my story and and I'm sticking to it. I know a lot of purists here looking for all original but this car will never be that so not worried too much - just curious what's on there. Hell, it started life as a slant 6, 225, 3 spd. thanks all for input.

My '68 Barracuda's 383 has a 1968 date code and HP designation. I found the manifold numbers identified in a reference chart below as:
383 1968-69 Barracuda& Dart / Right 2863900
383 1968-69 383 Magnum / Left 2843992

So what is this telling me about the manifolds? they are not a matched pair or what? Not clear what 'Magnum' means?
I have read that the 383 Magnum (starting in 1968) used the 440 Magnum heads, camshaft, and exhaust manifolds and the engine was advertised at 335 hp (250 kW; 340 PS).
The Govier Book lists these exclusively for A-bodys and both 383 and 440 4bbls; without Magnum descriptor.But
the book also lists other castings for A-bodies during those years.

Magnum was the Dodge term.

Plymouth called their version the Super Commando.

yepper...

272224_6ac35d3be7c3_low_res.jpg
gto-barracuda.JPG

-
Back