Question on XE274 cam

-

MoparMark91

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question if planned to run a comp cam XE274 it says on comps website to use the valve springs the say. I have brand new edelbrock 60779 aluminum heads, can i just use the springs on the edelbrock heads provided or are the use of the comp springs mandatory or could the springs on the eddy heads suffice?

Comp sorted that in for a few reasons starting with any claims there cam went flat so they’ll say did you use our parts to back up the cam, when you say no, now it’s on you.

The important thing here is the spring pressures. Do the edelbrock heads springs have similar pressure as the comp cams springs?

I’d say yes your good to go.

The springs speced by comp are for use with stock heads, and the associated short installed height.

Just use the springs that came with the new heads.

The Edelbrock AL head springs for flat tappet lifter cams have a spring rate that is about 15% lower than the Comp springs, and are single springs with damper instead of the Comp dual spring with damper. So the Edelbrock springs are not the same capability of spring.

With the quicker than average ramps on the XE cams, you might get into some valve float or other valvetrain problems at higher RPM's. So pay attention for ragged engine operation when you first go to higher RPM's; you might be getting into some problems. There are higher rate springs around that you could put in there to match the Comp 995's rate and that are taller for the Edelbrock installed heights.

-
Back