Question? Steering Colunm

-

hemi135

Reaction score
Just recently purchased a 72 Duster 340 4spd roller but a couple things have be changed. It originally had Pwr Steering and somewhere along the way someone swapped in a manual steering box. Can anyone tell me if the steering column has been changed too to accommodate this manual box or was this an easy swap in the manual steering box from the Pwr steering gear. I would like to swap it back to Pwr gear but don't know for sure if something major has to changed. Thanks in advance for your input.

The steering columns for manual and power steering are different lengths and also different size collars to hook up to the steering gear box.

It's best to just buy a used steering column for what you plan to swap in....

They make an adapter for the coupler, but it's best to get the right steering column for what you plan to run..

The steering columns for manual and power steering are different lengths and also different size collars to hook up to the steering gear box.

It's best to just buy a used steering column for what you plan to swap in....

They make an adapter for the coupler, but it's best to get the right steering column for what you plan to run..

Ok thanks Krazykuda, didn't want to hear that but hey that's ok maybe I'll just leave it manual steering. Thanks for the friendly advice.

They also removed the Power Brake booster and just installed a Manual brake setup. Again, what has been changed possibly or removed to make it a Manual set up from it's original Power disc booster setup...?

Ok thanks Krazykuda, didn't want to hear that but hey that's ok maybe I'll just leave it manual steering. Thanks for the friendly advice.

They also removed the Power Brake booster and just installed a Manual brake setup. Again, what has been changed possibly or removed to make it a Manual set up from it's original Power disc booster setup...?

The burning question? : Was it a stock O.E.M. based disc brake kit,or bigger caliper/rotor diameter/non stock kit ?

Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth and that's what you need to know.

As for the brakes, there is a booster, master cylinder, and then I think you need a longer push rod that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder.

I like to go to the ram man for my brake needs. He's very friendly and will explain whatever you need to know. He restores old brake system for a reasonable price and will let you know what you need and may have what you need.

THE RAM MAN
7200 Winters St
Fort Worth, TX 76120
Telephone: 817.691.5996

http://www.theramman.com

Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth and that's what you need to know.

As for the brakes, there is a booster, master cylinder, and then I think you need a longer push rod that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder.

I like to go to the ram man for my brake needs. He's very friendly and will explain whatever you need to know. He restores old brake system for a reasonable price and will let you know what you need and may have what you need.

THE RAM MAN
7200 Winters St
Fort Worth, TX 76120
Telephone: 817.691.5996

http://www.theramman.com

Haha, I understand. I had a feeling that column might be different between the Pwr to Manual setup.

The Power Brake Question.....The mechanics of it with the longer ram rod would make sense with the Pwr booster vs the manual set up. Thanks for the referral...Thank you

I went from power steering to manual steering once, and I just locked a vice grip on the column and tapped down the shaft until it went into the "box". I didn't change a thing on the column. That shaft is on splines (like a drive shaft yoke).

I went from power steering to manual steering once, and I just locked a vice grip on the column and tapped down the shaft until it went into the "box". I didn't change a thing on the column. That shaft is on splines (like a drive shaft yoke).

Are you saying you just changed the Power strg shaft to a Manual strg shaft in the same body of the column or something else? Not sure I follow ya

Its possible that the previous owner simply defeated the sheer pins in the steering shaft and pulled it out approx' 3 inches to reach a manual box. It aint the proper way to do it but they'll do it anyway.

Its possible that the previous owner simply defeated the sheer pins in the steering shaft and pulled it out approx' 3 inches to reach a manual box. It aint the proper way to do it but they'll do it anyway.

Got it..thanks

Got it..thanks

I drove the car that way for a good while, and was that way when I sold it. Just curious, what is the harm or damage of doing it that way?? I got this tip from a mopar guy that makes his living selling parts. Worked fine for me.... so what is the catch of not doing it this way?

I drove the car that way for a good while, and was that way when I sold it. Just curious, what is the harm or damage of doing it that way?? I got this tip from a mopar guy that makes his living selling parts. Worked fine for me.... so what is the catch of not doing it this way?

I've never taken this route so I don't know how much engagement/overlap remains after 3 inches is pulled out. I imagine it would develop looseness or lost motion in the overlap eventually. how long is anyone's guess.
There are no forces present ( That I am aware of ) that would cause the inner shaft to climb but if there were... there is nothing more than a 1/16 diameter pin and a bottle cap holding the box coupling together. A climbing shaft theoretically could pull that coupling apart. Result is sudden and total lose of steering control. Lets hope Murphy's Law doesn't apply.

Check the bottom of your collumn. The power steering collumn is longer. Someone may have added the extension adapter. If so just remove it and go back to the factory coupler.

Check the bottom of your collumn. The power steering collumn is longer. Someone may have added the extension adapter. If so just remove it and go back to the factory coupler.

No, no adapter. It's a 74 manual floor shift column in my 72 Duster. Previous owner didn't realize the 74 has a bigger pitman arm and zip-tied it to the centerlink just to move it around the garage..sigh

-
Back