Question...

-

Ma Snart

Reaction score
What do you think the following car would be worth?

Going to look at what is suppose to be a numbers matching 1966 Barracuda Formula S with 273/4 speed. Faded red exterior and faded white interior. Originally from OK and supposedly no rust or dents. Everything is in working condition and the engine was recently overhauled.

This is all I know - The guy is asking $9000.

Ma Snart

I paid $6000 for mine in the SF Bay Area, also all original. She's a runner, needs a clutch and some attention. Unless yours is pretty nice, $9000 seems a little high to me. Best of luck!

Attachments

• 66 Baracuda 002.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 334
  • 66 Baracuda 022.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 66 Baracuda 011.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 353
Ma, i would say without pics that it would be somewhere in the 5-6 range. 9k is steep. they are out there for much less

Ma, i would say without pics that it would be somewhere in the 5-6 range. 9k is steep. they are out there for much less

Thanks guys. I was not sure if matching numbers formula was worth that much more than just a regular nice 1st gen fish - I see nice examples (Like Cliff's cool car) of the regular versions in the $5-6K range.

Ma Snart

Attachments

• 1967%20Plymouth%20Ad-18.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 322
How is it numbers matching? As far as I know The VIN number was not on any components, in the "early" years? Correct "date codes" maybe, but not "numbers matching".
Please correct me if I am wrong.

How is it numbers matching? As far as I know The VIN number was not on any components, in the "early" years? Correct "date codes" maybe, but not "numbers matching".
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was thinking the same thing, as far as I know on the early cars there are no numbers to match so that's not a selling point. $6k (or less!) sounds like a more realistic price nowadays.

I was thinking the same thing, as far as I know on the early cars there are no numbers to match so that's not a selling point. $6k (or less!) sounds like a more realistic price nowadays.

And I learn more...About these fish and about who I am dealing with.

Thanks guys

Ma Snart

Attachments

• i11373.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 289
Thats steep Im lookim at a 66 273,auto new gas tank, springs, shocks, brakes, engine, tires, slots, not much rust, with a '65 273 4spd parts car for 3500.

The early Formula S cars are cool and seem really under-valued - that means don't spend too much on one. A decent driver with the original parts I've seen sell for $4-5 maybe up to $6K for one much better than average. The problem you have is the guy has probably spent $3 to $4K on it recently and doesn't expect to lose that "investment". My experience is that nobody will even make an offer and it'll take the guy over a year to realize the fair market value for his car is about half of what he's asking. About ten years ago I found a 1969 Chrysler 300 convertible and the seller told me someone offered him $16K for it... well two years later it was still for sale and the price was under $6K which is about what I would have paid for it but I had already bought another car. Sounds like you found a nice one, good luck getting it at a price that's fair for you and the seller.

Ma, I say if you're a gambler, you might want to wait it out. This guy might have a tough time selling it. Meanwhile, stay in touch with him. If he becomes more motivated to sell it (i.e. drops the price), he'll know you're interested in it. Let him know you'd like to be first in line when the price becomes right.

Thanks again to everyone fro the insights...

Will let you all know next week what happens.

Ma Snart

Attachments

• 7-ExteriorLeftside.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 237
To me a '66 Cuda F/S as you described is always worth $1000. - 1500. more in price on the east coast. There's not many early A's let alone early A's that are rust free and performance models. Sounds like a strong $8000. car over here. What else would you be looking for in a nice ride to restify or restore.... Orig. paint is big plus so you know what your dealing with in body work & Rust free...your saving $$$ in bodywork. Matching numbers another plus, rebuilt motor another plus and a Formula S & 4 speed to "boot". Sellers not out of line for his location. If the car was in Ca., I'd say $6500 - 7000. cause they tend to pop up more often as rust free original cars.
I paid $7000 for mine back in 2001 and it was in similar condition, Formula S, 4 speed, CA rust free car but sun burnt orig. paint, mint interior but motor had 111K. Right after I made the deal I was offered more money and 2 people gave thier phone numbers in case I changed my mind.

No numbers matching untill later years i paid around that for mine 6 years ago - 66, 273/auto,fact air,power steering. I have seen simular ones like mine for less in recent years [slantys,4 speeds,non Formula S,no air cars] won't hurt to take a look and make an offer. I love mine it's unique i'm normally the only one at most events there are about 8 in the hillsboro/pinellas area that i know of but i'm the only one that's at most of the events.

with your description of faded exterior & interior not even close to asking price-- for 9k that thing better be clean & ready to roll ,Lawrence

I would think 5-6k would be fair. 4 speed is a plus

Steve
64 Valiant
68 Cuda Vert
Charleston SC

If I had a dollar for everyone claiming a motor rebuild...I'd be in the bahammas,...retired. I always add up what the possiblities of false information or poor presentation can cost. My opinion is 9K is too much for this car. Like the 66 and 67 B body...not very desireable...hard to find parts....got to be special to the owner/buyer....I had a 64 and it was a great little car

So I looked at the car. Exterior paint was not faded but maybe a 7/8 over all. The interior was faded big time. I offered $4K and that was the end of the discussion - He was not interested in anything lower.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Ma Snart

PS - Here is another 1st gen for sale near me - I think he was asking $1800 and it runs and is ready for the mud.... Hmmmm, now that could be fun in my neighbors mud hole!!

Attachments

• 27193887-648-Pine-City-Mud-BogMudCuda-Truck.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 111
-
Back