Questions about a 2006 5.7

-

Dart fan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a lead on a 2006 5.7 with transmission with 60k on it. Its in a magnum .
I'm think about installing it in my 67 dart .
Is there anything I should be concerned with ?
I've been following this section of the forum but I'm a little behind on this.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Any history? Hopefully you can hear it run and maybe even drive it. Otherwise could be a crap shoot so a lowball offer should be considered. Early ones susceptible to dropped valve seats.

You're probably well aware of the trans tunnel and T-bar crossmember chop, cut and puree.

60k its in a running driving car .
Starts right up sounds good . Asking price is $2500.
I'm fairly new to the swap idea.
I was starting to research the idea.
This deal just popped up . Sounded like something I should jump on for the future

60k its in a running driving car .
Starts right up sounds good . Asking price is $2500.
I'm fairly new to the swap idea.
I was starting to research the idea.
This deal just popped up . Sounded like something I should jump on for the future

Oil filter will need to be relocated if using stock k member, front accessory drive will also interfere, specifically the alternator, this can be remedied with a front accessory drive from a Ram truck. Then there is exhaust and surely a number of other issues, but those are the first ones that come to mind. I have not done this myself, but have seriously looked into it.

Thanks
I appreciate any and all information.

Modified the K frame to use the car timing cover. Alternator is tight. Best fix for that is to machine the alternator mounting surface about .060"- .080".

Hemi1.jpg

See if you can find a pair of the later aluminum heads. They are much better and will work on the 03-08 blocks.

Too much money for a pre Eagle head engine.
Dropped valve seats are a problem on early 5.7.
My 2006 dropped 2 valve seats @ 80k needed a new long block, with all updates, $2500. Plus new intake $300.
2009 and up is the one you want. Improved cylinder heads, power, all updates.

Last edited:
See if you can find a pair of the later aluminum heads. They are much better and will work on the 03-08 blocks.

They bolt on but the compression ratio when combined with the pre-eagle pistons is pretty high. There are fixes, and might work for some as is too. Just pointing it out.

They bolt on but the compression ratio when combined with the pre-eagle pistons is pretty high. There are fixes, and might work for some as is too. Just pointing it out.
Thanks for the info. I use this combo in a racing application at 13.5:1 compression ratio. someone who wants to run pump gas would not be interested in that. I know they make very thick head gaskets, maybe for this reason.

I would watch the ENGINE MASTERS episode where they dyno the early version of the 5.7 against a newer (09 and up) what they call the "Eagle" version 5.7. If I were to spend the money doing a 5.7 swap I'd look for a later version which will gain you over 100 horsepower difference. The later versions have a much better head design flowing around 330 cfm.

I have driven an '06 Charger with the 5.7 and own a 13 Ram with the newer 5.7 I can tell you at WOT the truck pulls way harder than the Charger.

Last edited:
I would watch the ENGINE MASTERS episode where they dyno the early version of the 5.7 against a newer (09 and up) what they call the "Eagle" version 5.7. If I were to spend the money doing a 5.7 swap I'd look for a later version which will gain you over 100 horsepower difference. The later versions have a much better head design flowing around 330 cfm.

That episode is what pushed me in the direction of an Eagle G3 swap.

But it depends on what you want. A pre-Eagle will give you a sweet running motor that is as strong as a mildly built 360 and has plenty of potential with a cam swap. Guy on YouTube (No Bolts Left Behind) swapped a pre-Eagle 5.7 out of a Durango into a 70 Challenger, swapped the cam and used TTI headers and put down 371 RWHP. Pretty sure that is better than the 6.1 motors do stock. But even without the cam swap, the motor should put down something like 330 RWHP and run smooth while giving you decent mileage if that mattered to you.

I have driven an '06 Charger with the 5.7 and own a 13 Ram with the newer 5.7 I can tell you at WOT the truck pulls way harder than the Charger.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll keep looking for a newer version.

Getting a pre- Eagle and bolting on eagle or 6.1 heads is gonna get you 400hp. I have a 2014 5.7 block that meeds a new cam. No heads or accessories crank and pistons are good. It had a bad lifter and wore down the cam. I replaced it with a rebuilt long block and am planing to put the heads on my 2004 5.7. The motor is in my garage come and get it.

Everyone seems to get caught up in the VVT thing. Stock for stock, yes, they are superior. The thing most people won't tell you is, when you do a major cam swap on an Eagle, you have to lock the VVT anyway!!!! Seems to me it would be easier(and cheaper) to do an early short block, put on the newer heads, and have the best of both worlds. Lot less mass spinning on the front of an early cam. Able to run a two row chain. Although, I haven't heard of any Eagle chain failures. Well, the early Eagle tensioner and guides were questionable. But, so were the early tensioners. Splitting hairs cuz that **** gets replaced anyway. If doing a mild cam swap in an Eagle where you can still utilize the VVT? Then, yes, they are really good. But, even in the Almighty Engine Masters episode, did they not lock out the VVT? I think they did....... Hmmm....

Everyone seems to get caught up in the VVT thing. Stock for stock, yes, they are superior. The thing most people won't tell you is, when you do a major cam swap on an Eagle, you have to lock the VVT anyway!!!! Seems to me it would be easier(and cheaper) to do an early short block, put on the newer heads, and have the best of both worlds. Lot less mass spinning on the front of an early cam. Able to run a two row chain. Although, I haven't heard of any Eagle chain failures. Well, the early Eagle tensioner and guides were questionable. But, so were the early tensioners. Splitting hairs cuz that **** gets replaced anyway. If doing a mild cam swap in an Eagle where you can still utilize the VVT? Then, yes, they are really good. But, even in the Almighty Engine Masters episode, did they not lock out the VVT? I think they did....... Hmmm....
VVT IS LOCKED

I for one am going with the 6.4 cam in my 5.7. Two reasons, so I can keep the VVT and because it is significantly cheaper than an aftermarket cam. Might not have the total potential of some of the aftermarket cams, but I’m not looking for 10/10ths. I think 425 or so at the crank should be good enough for now. If not, I can stroke it, or jump to a 6.4 or an HC. :D

I for one am going with the 6.4 cam in my 5.7. Two reasons, so I can keep the VVT and because it is significantly cheaper than an aftermarket cam. Might not have the total potential of some of the aftermarket cams, but I’m not looking for 10/10ths. I think 425 or so at the crank should be good enough for now. If not, I can stroke it, or jump to a 6.4 or an HC. :D
Have done that cam swap many times. Works great!

VVT IS LOCKED

Just watched the Hemi comparison episode of Engine Masters again and the Eagle motor did not have the VVT locked out. They spent a fair amount of time talking about how they messed it up and had to replace valves learning how to tune the VVT correctly.

Also of note, they agreed the 2006 5.7 they ran seemed down on power. They couldn't say why but they figured it should have made 20-30 more than it did but just a guess.

It's too bad they didn't leave the OEM intake on the '06 motor and compare that. I think it would have been much more cost effective and a much better comparison. Even if the '06 didn't make the same power, it would at least have been cheaper (I think). All the stuff to run the carb was like $2K.

Did not want to start another thread about this, but is there an aftermarket piston you can buy to reduce the compression enough to use the post 2009 heads? Maybe just buying 2010 heads and 2010 pistons? Edelbrocks are 1500 a piece so no thanks on that one.

We are dealing with an 07, one intake valve seat gone, shrapnel in 3 other cylinders.

-
Back