Questions about a semi pulling a 5th wheel...

-

grassy

Reaction score
So I have a buddy who owns a dump truck / backhoe company..3 or 4 of each...

He says I am nutz buying a RAM 2500/3500 and what I should be looking for is a newish semi w/an auto ..maybe a single axle like a Freightliner M2 with only a couple hundred thousand miles on it..we would need a back seat.. and I should carry a small car with me..unfortunately, he is low on details..he says they are out there..

He also said with the right gear ratio, I can get really great mileage numbers..unfortunately, all he has are numbers under full load..

Price wise...25 to 30K..

Have you ever heard or seen a semi pulling a 5th with a car on the back deck... ? I have seen the first part but not the second part. We do not want a toy hauler.

Sometimes free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it :)

Since I am in the middle of nowhere, maybe there is other stuff we just do see here..

ian

I ain' no expert on this "big" stuff but seems to me this might put you in danger of the DOT Nazis.................

Been plenty of horror stories about the "non commercial" racers and guys buying / selling cars and parts getting stopped and harrassed by those guys.

There is a small drag team that has a single axle Freightliner that pulls a big trailer maybe 50 ft with the rail in it. They seem to do all right with it.

Isn't an RV kingpin a smaller diameter that class 8. I know the pins on commercial trailers are 2" . I don't know 'bout RV pins. Then you'd have to deal with the brake issue. TTR/TLR use air , not electric. You'd probably have quite a hard time getting the two to sync up n work smoothly.
Not to say it can't be done, just why? At least a full size pick-up you could still carry a load of drywall, pavers or whatever household projects you got and pick up groceries on yhe way. Can't do that with a bobtail tractor. Plus plates and insurance on a commercial vehicle?
I think I'd roll with the pick-up. But if you're swayed towards a class 6,7&8 . You could always score an International CXT , I think is the model. It's a 4 door vocational chassis with a pick-up bed on the frame. Kinda rediculous but look sweet. They can be had in 4x4 or 4x2 stick or auto. I think they all have juice brakes though. Good luck in whatever direction you go with.

This is what my brother uses to pull his 40ft 5th wheel...the truck and trailer is for sale but it's a 13 spd with CAT diesel.

Attachments

• DadsTruckSide.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 269
Isn't an RV kingpin a smaller diameter that class 8. I know the pins on commercial trailers are 2" . I don't know 'bout RV pins. Then you'd have to deal with the brake issue. TTR/TLR use air , not electric. You'd probably have quite a hard time getting the two to sync up n work smoothly.
Not to say it can't be done, just why? At least a full size pick-up you could still carry a load of drywall, pavers or whatever household projects you got and pick up groceries on yhe way. Can't do that with a bobtail tractor. Plus plates and insurance on a commercial vehicle?
I think I'd roll with the pick-up. But if you're swayed towards a class 6,7&8 . You could always score an International CXT , I think is the model. It's a 4 door vocational chassis with a pick-up bed on the frame. Kinda rediculous but look sweet. They can be had in 4x4 or 4x2 stick or auto. I think they all have juice brakes though. Good luck in whatever direction you go with.

I see 4 or 5 semi's a summer..and I mean the big guys pulling a 5th every year...it is cool, when they are painted the same..but you cannot trundle around town with one..and I have enough trouble getting the wife to drive my 1500..

I am thinking that it may just be too complicated..

I am skeptical ....

This is what my brother uses to pull his 40ft 5th wheel...the truck and trailer is for sale but it's a 13 spd with CAT diesel.

I could drive it but the wife needs to as well..and I have given up trying to teach..(and other too)..just no coordination..

I am sure I saw a smaller version of that truck but I cannot remember who makes it..and it was at the rv park we usually go to...4 door and auto..

There is a small drag team that has a single axle Freightliner that pulls a big trailer maybe 50 ft with the rail in it. They seem to do all right with it.

I am lost..."with the rail in it". What does this mean..?

I don't know how things are there but the insurance, plates and the CDL costs would kill you. Here I think you would be dealing with log books too. Maybe someone with more knowledge will weigh in.

Sorry Grassy, rail is the dragster, I'm used to calling them rails cuz thats what they call it.. The truck they have just like the one in Texas Darts pic. Same color too lol.

As to DOT Nazi's can you not put "NOT FOR HIRE" on the sides? I believe that's what on the truck they drive. I see it all the time on 650's and bigger trucks towing things.

I don't know how things are there but the insurance, plates and the CDL costs would kill you. Here I think you would be dealing with log books too. Maybe someone with more knowledge will weigh in.

Please.

Even if it was a non business vehicle.

A 3500 sounds pretty simple at the moment :)

ian.

If you buy the semi do NOT get the automatic!!! If you go that way remember this cdl license if it has air brakes, log book, dot cops and weight stations. The cheaper way is to buy the duellie.
:blob:

neighbor just bought a freightliner /RV to haul his scca racecars -- he says it is classed as an RV no cdl --no inspections, no DOT-- We will see-- it is set-up for Air brakes or Electric brakes & is a very sweet unit($$$)-- Looks very similar to the rig above with an enclosed box for living quarters. Lawrence

As long as it is registered as an RV you are go to go. As far as the automatic they are a LOT better now than they used to be. With the little amount of weight you would be hauling it would be fine. You would need to have air brake added to your licence which means writing a test and a practical test on adjusting the brakes. In the end it would be whatever you are comfortable with. There are a number of companies making just the kind of truck that you are looking at and they are VERY popular!

If you buy the semi do NOT get the automatic!!! If you go that way remember this cdl license if it has air brakes, log book, dot cops and weight stations. The cheaper way is to buy the duellie.
:blob:

Here in Oregon a CDL is not required for that type of vehicle if only used for personal use, RVing, no log books, no weigh stations. And.. The Allison auto's seem to be working well :D

Thanks all...it is time that I go back in research mode to see if this is viable, a unit is available here and and if it is, to convince my better half that this is do able..who knows..

Thanks again, Ian

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4725440263.html

Just saw this on craig's list...kinda cool how he is hauling his vehicles around.

Yeah my brother has 'Not for Hire' on the side of his and it's listed as an RV. It's his pickup. But if anyone wants a nice one it's for sale. It's in SEMO. He put a seat in the supercab out of a Dodge truck too. So it's part Dodge. It will set 6 people.

-
Back