Questions for newer dakota owners

-

flyboy1400

Reaction score
I'll be transferring to a different college next fall, and while its still not that far away, its a longer commute than i can trust the duster to make daily. So Ive been looking into getting a smaller pickup, I know the Dakota is technically a "mid-sized" truck but I would like to be able to tow my satellite/duster if need be, take engines to the machine shop, move heavy/bulky parts, etc as well as drive it daily, and i don't think a ranger or s-10 type truck would be up to it, especially the towing. I've been watching the newer ('05-up) "pre-owned" Dakotas coming down in price and have a few questions.

Generally what sort of mileage do you really get, with what engine, and how much freeway/city driving do you do? I've seen the EPA ratings, but often those vary significantly from 'real world' driving.

For those who have it, what do you think of the 3.7? is it underpowered?
Is it worth the fuel savings to go 3.7 vs 4.7?

Have you had any major mechanical issues? Anything to watch out for in a used Dakota?

Any likes/dislikes/regrets about the truck?

Thanks

I have a 05 Dakota with the 4.7 magnum. I tow pretty much anything I want with it. Plenty of power to tow cars. I have owned the truck for about 3 years and only put about 10,000 miles on it. Only trouble I have had is the sway bar links broke. And that just happened recently. They have a knuckle or joint in them and a lot of people have them break. Pulled campers with it, engines also. The only one thing I really hate about the truck is the remote lock stopped working, then when you use the key to open the door the alarm goes off and from what I read there isn't a way to turn it off. I am too cheap to buy a knew one so I drive around with my horns unplugged :)

Attachments

• 21872_348682825476_625925476_4789313_1525608_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 199
i have a 00 4wd 5.9 magnum love the truck and after taking off the mechanical fan i get better milage than i ever did with my 03 4.7 2wd ....best i saw w/the 4.7 was 14 in the summer and 10 in the winter i get 17 all summer and 14 in the winter now both were and are bone stock....and quad cabs

I have a 05 Dakota with the 4.7 magnum. I tow pretty much anything I want with it. Plenty of power to tow cars. I have owned the truck for about 3 years and only put about 10,000 miles on it. Only trouble I have had is the sway bar links broke. And that just happened recently. They have a knuckle or joint in them and a lot of people have them break. Pulled campers with it, engines also. The only one thing I really hate about the truck is the remote lock stopped working, then when you use the key to open the door the alarm goes off and from what I read there isn't a way to turn it off. I am too cheap to buy a knew one so I drive around with my horns unplugged :)

I work for a dodge dealership and I beleive if you have a key with the remote on it you can replace the battery do it all the time just be sure not.to break the soldered.connections.which if you do can be resoldered same for if you have the key chain remote

I've got an 05 four door with the 4.7 and two wheel drive. I love the thing. I haven't towed a car with it yet but it definitely has enough nuts to do it. I had it out at the track a few months ago and ran it against my buddies 98 sst ram with the 5.9 and beat him every time by a half second. He couldn't believe it lol.

As far as problems go, nothing major whatsoever. The keyless entry remote took a crap and the dealer wanted over $200 for a new remote and to program it. I said f that and bought a real alarm with remote start. I've got 77k on it and she runs like a champ.

I have a 2007 QC Dakota 2wd. 4.7L, 454RFE automatic, 3.55 gears w/ Suregrip. Bought it new, now has 78K miles on it.

Mine is a bastard child. It is "technically" an ST base model truck, but it has the SXT & SXT Plus packages on it. As a result, it's fully loaded with everything except the very high end do-dads like leather, moon roof, auto head lamps, etc. It even came with the full towing package and 18" wheels, but it still had the basic factory stereo, which I swapped for an in-dash 6-disc/MP3 unit from a 300C. Enough about all that....

OPINION: I love this truck. To me it is the perfect balance of being a truck, but not a huge truck. It rides, drives and handles like a car, but I have stacked 800lbs of scrap metal in the back and it didn't miss a beat. I have pulled car trailers with it, no problem. I have owned a 2001 Ram, a 2002 Ram 4.7 (both 2 doors) and this Dakota is better than both of them for me. The Gen III Dakotas are also much more stoutly built than previous generations. Compared to the frame flex on my moms 2001 Dakota, mine is built like a tank. Very solid, very stable.

MILEAGE: I drive about 75% hwy and the rest city. I tend to drive at 70-ish mph and I have a somewhat heavy foot when accelerating from a stop. Real world, I get 18-19mpg combined. On road trips with the cruise control set about 72mph I get 22-25mpg depending on terrain.

PROBLEMS: The only problem I have had was a faulty Thottle Position Sensor on the throttle body when it was only a few months old. The truck would inexplicably drop out of lockup and shift gears with no warning or reason. Took the dealer 10 minutes to fix. No problems beyond that.

BRAKES: The brakes are not as good as what was on my 2002 Ram. The Dakotas are now rear drum only. On the plus side, it is the same 9.25 axle that is under the Gen II Durangos, so the 12" disc package will bolt right up (I have not done this yet, but plan to). As for the front, I installed slotted, Cryogenic rotors from Centric (Powerslot) with ceramic Akebono pads, and now it stops like a champ.

SHOCKS: The factory shocks suck. The front shocks will wear out quickly and will start to bounce over high speed bumps. At 50K I replaced mine with Monroes (front and rear) and it was a massive improvement. Should have come from the factory this way.

ENGINE: The 3.7L is not a "bad" engine, but it simply does not have the *** to push a truck around, and will definitely not pull any kind of car trailer. They also get no better mileage than a 4.7L, so don't bother. The 42RE was the only automatic trans option with the 3.7L, so you are stuck with a 4spd auto behind the V6.

TIRES: The factory equipped Goodyear GS-A tires are garbage, with terrible wet weather traction. I also didn't realize how much road noise they caused until I replaced them with something else and the truck magically much quieter. I opted for BFG Long Trail T/As, and they are vastly superior tires IMO.

MODIFICATIONS: Ah yes, the ever fun mods list.

EXHAUST: As much as I love Dodge, they can do some bone headed things. The exhaust on the 4.7L is a joke. They run dual cats (one on each bank) with 2.25" pipes, but then they have a half-assed crushed y-pipe that chokes it down. I had the exhaust hacked off after the cats and had a true-dual exhaust system installed with Magnaflow mufflers. It sounds good (little throaty, but not at all loud) and allows the engine to breath much better.

INTAKE & THROTTLE BODY: I had a friend port out the stock throttle body to remove the torque step, then polished it with a mothers power ball and some metal polish. I also fabricated my own 3" cold air intake with parts from Autozone ($100 total).

I dynoed my truck before and after the above mods (Dynojet). I went from 166hp & 218ft/lbs to 188hp & 247ft/lbs. There was only a two week lapse between dynos, and weather was consistent. The truck now has a Superchips Flashpaq, and I am running 199hp & 258ft/lbs with the 93 tune. Keep in mind, I am getting 22-25mpg hwy, with the HP Superchips tune.

Attachments

• DSC_03171.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 161
98 Dakota Club Cab, with 3.9 v6 automatic bought in 2001 with 20,000 miles on it about 170,000 on it now, towed a nearly 4,000 lb car on a 1,000 lb trailer to race track for about 3 years, never any problems with that. Replaced heater core, 2 water pumps, rebuilt right front brakes 3 times(should find and fix the underlying problem), have to recharge the air conditining once or twice a summer. Replaced all four ball joints, and 3 or 4 sets of tires. Towed the trailer great, sometimes got kind of sketchy stopping (no trailer brakes) had the trailer push me through a stop light once, luckily it was 2:30 in the morning so there was no traffic.

Superdart, that was a killer write up.

Like coffedart, my 170,000-ish 03 Dakota is like superdarts (QC) w/ a V6. I find it slightly underpowered and braking in need of a little help. Otherwise, it has needed nothing, allways dealer serviced by the pervious owner. (Older fella)

I really love the new look over my 03. Look foward to getting one, one day.

ANY more new Dakota owners out there!?!?!?!

And can I get a HEMI with it?

Actually we had a guy on DodgeTalk that transplanted a stock 5.7L in his '06 Dakota. contrary to Dodge's claims, the engine fits fine. He only had to fabricate the motor mounts and modify the oil pan to clear his front axle (4wd). There of course were other issues like cooling fans, lines, etc...but even the stock 4.7L ECM ran the 5.7L......Beastly little ride....but it's gotta be a little nose heavy now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Vcc6lFLfI"]YouTube - Hemi Dakota[/ame]

I have an '06 Night Runner Edition with the 3.7. I get 16mpg city and 24mpg highway. I love my truck, not too big, not too small. I haven't towed with it yet but I did haul about 1000lbs of dirt in the back and it did fine. Even made it up a steep 45 degree incline. I would recommend it to anyone.

One thing I had to do to mine was add a few gauges. The fact that Dodge didn't install volt or oil pressure gauges at the factory just drove me nuts. I ended up fabricating a little gauge pod out of sheet metal and installing it in the center console with some Autometers. Some Mopar rattle can touch up paint on the center stack and gauge pod really made the interior more appealing.

Attachments

• Gaugessmall.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 129
No volt or oil gauge?!?!? WOW! Is that a mistake on ordering or just a "Not Available" thing? Cause Not available would be very messed up and odd for a MoPar!

Nice work, that looks good.

Not available. Guage pods is only speedo, tach, fuel and temp. Even my buddies wife noticed when she test drove it. I don't trust dummy lights.....:wack:

Ya, no dunny lights. But missing a oil & volt gauge? Now that's wacked!

I still think the 5.9 is the way to tow..

345 #s of torque at 3k.

How fast do you want to cruise?

NewPortRicheycamry.jpg

I think I would rather have this 5.9L in my Dakota:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2i_JHrHc8"]YouTube - Sidewinder Dakota vs. C6 Corvette[/ame]

:tongue9:

Had a 2000 dakota sport clubcab 4x4 4.7v8 ..... loved it pulled a 77 v8 nova[which has to be as heavy as a A body] on a open trailer just fine.

I think the dakota has been butt ugly since 05 though .... but that's my opinion.

-
Back