Questions on a Swap Before Any Serious Considerations

-

PanzerschreckLeopard

Reaction score
Hey! I have a '71 Valiant, with a /6 and A-904 transmission. It is currently not my daily driver, especially with Winter approaching, so I was wondering about the feasibility and work for a swap...

What I was wanting was some sort of LA block (I suppose a 360?), and just as importantly, if not moreso, an A-833...I'm sick of automatic, I want 4spd floor shifter!

But anyway, for the ordinary 4-door Valiant, how would this work? I'm pretty sure the 7.25 rear end would have to go, and likely a modified drive shaft, and probably bigger torsion bars, and engine mount adapters, but otherwise, I don't know, I've not done it before.

If it IS all possible, would it be worth getting a rebuilt, ready to go engine/trans, or chepaer to rebuild one myself? I've never done that before, though, so I'm not sure I'd trust myself on it...

Most important is brakes. Don't trust a 50 year old radiator.

It is very feasible and you are right the rear would have to go a 8.25 is a great candidate for it and pretty low cost also. There are a ton of build threads here on doing exactly what you want hust look around in the small block section.

It is very feasible and you are right the rear would have to go a 8.25 is a great candidate for it and pretty low cost also. There are a ton of build threads here on doing exactly what you want hust look around in the small block section.
Right, right. I figured it shouldn't be TOO difficult considering the Duster exists with those options, but I wanted to be sure.

Biggest thing is the K member, I would just buy the Schumacher mounts and be done with it. Sure you can find a running engine/trans around for a decent price. Why a 360? That is usually a truck motor.

OK so the vacuum booster will effect performance cam options. Good luck

Well it doesn't have to be some huge performance thing, I'd still want it capable of daily drive if needed

-
Back