Questions on adding a vinyl top

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I recently bought a 74 duster, and I would really like to add a half vinyl top. I bought all the trim that I need and it should be shipped soon.

What does the molding fasten to? Does it screw down? Is there anything else I need to purchase before I take it in to have it done?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm no expert but my 74 duster came from the factory with a vinyl top attached by what look like rivets and clips. it's called a 3/4 vinyl top. I believe holes were punched in the vinyl and it was stretched over the roof, the trim then clipped onto the rivet heads over the vinyl.

If you're gonna do a vinyl top (no chance in hell I'd put a vinyl top on ANY car but hey) do the full vinyl top instead of the 3/4 top, be fully commited to it and yes a fully vinyl top was an option in 1974. A 3/4 top reminds me of a teenage girl, wishy washier than a damn wash machine. Just sayin.

Another option is to install the vinyl top trim and have it paint the color you want up there. Painting as come a long way and you can mimic the look of a vinyl top design with a crap load less maintance.

Thanks for the info guys! i appreciate it. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do just yet. I'll post pics if I decide to do it.

(no chance in hell I'd put a vinyl top on ANY car but hey)

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. My opinion is that when I shine my vinyl top up with some Mother's Back to Black I get comments on it every time about how good it looks. I agree!

20130525_202318_zpsa58d6eef.jpg

I say go for it. As long as you are installing it over a rust free top, you'll be fine.

On a canopy vinyl top - The molding across the back had one screw in each end. The clips in between slide onto studs

Thanks for the info zkx14, I'm guessing I can buy the studs and screw or weld them onto the roof? I think a vinyl top would look good on the car. It looks damn good on your dart Brian.

Thanks! People get hung up on vinyl tops because we've all seen cars where the roof has rusted because of them. I bought a Duster one time with the half vinyl roof and it was ripped and would balloon up at speed like a parachute. I'm sure the roof underneath it was starting to rust away because of all the moisture it let in.

Thanks for the info zkx14, I'm guessing I can buy the studs and screw or weld them onto the roof? I think a vinyl top would look good on the car. It looks damn good on your dart Brian.

I never used one, but i would guess you need a special 'stud gun' to put them on. They could be screwed on. I would be concerned about leaks,". My headliner is messed up from the original screw on the passenger side of that trim leaking.

-
Back