Questions regarding electrical 69 Dart

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
Working on sorting out the demons in the turn and braking system. Two things I am unsure of. First, I was under the impression that the flasher/hazard light switch was off in the center and on when up. Come to find that the switch mounts the other way, so it’s either down or centered. The dash lights come in when it is centered, and go off when it is down. Can someone confirm down is off and centered is on?

Second, I am trying to get the brake lights working. I have bypassed the switch, and I am trying to just get them to light up. Nothing is happening. I have 12v on the pink wire. Everything appears to be fine. The one thing NOT installed is the turn signal switch. From the diagram I have, it appears the turn/brake lights go through the turn signal switch. Would having it uninstalled cause the brake lights not to work?

Thanks guys!

Dash mounted flasher switch should be off when down. Probably doesn’t matter which way it is mounted if it works properly .

If you don’t have TS switch connected, brake lights won’t work.

Confirmed... 67 dart e flasher down when off. Switch has never been out of car.

My guess is there is a keyway.

Your brake lights are routed through the TS column switch. This is so the TS switch can DISconnect the brake light on whatever side is flashing, and KEEP connected the brake light on the other side.
If you are unaware, you have TWO flashers, one for turn, the other for hazard.

HOW 4x flashers work in the pre--column hazard switch cars:

That switch has 4 terminals, and when off, none of the 4 terminals are interconnected. When "on" all 4 are connected. One is incoming output from the hazard flasher, which of course is powered at all times

One of the other 3 terminals go to the TS switch, which should be centered when using hazards

One terminal goes to the brake light input wire (white AI think) same one as coming from brake light switch. This feeds hazard flasher power to the two rear lamps

The two remaining terminals go to the left and to the right wires going to the front signal lights, so the hazard flasher power routes it output to those two lamps as well

If you step on the brake, or move the TS switch, the hazards do not work properly

If you do not have a factory shop manual, wander over to MyMopar and download one for free

-
Back