quick 318?

-
I plan on running 100-150 shot if possible with hyper kb167s.I like the partsbook 318 build with the magnum 280h cam.zero deck with the closed chamber magnums.gonna get mags from junkyard ill pay for warranty so if they r cracked grab another set.should be cheap and no custom work ,unless I wanna play around with the magnum heads.

Do not miss the tune up with a hyperutectic piston!!! Stock cast slugs will take more nitrous than those. On a 150 shot my 318 is well into the territory of needing a roll bar and the 60' was SOFT! Also with small stroke you will need rpm so I would use a solid lifter cam.

Are the "302 casting" heads that bad?

I run 14.8's with my stock 318. I have the "302 casting" heads :sad10:

I'm looking to do upgrades this summer when I have time.

How good do you wanna get at porting? 302 heads have the benefit of a closed chamber (read more compression and a quench pad) Unfortunately they have small ports and something like a 1.78/1.50 valve so that can be a restriction

So with the cam u recomended what parts would I need to change.whats done to the one that runs mid 12s?

10:1 318, ported 2.02 heads, single plane intake matched to the heads and do some research on plenum porting. I like the Comp XS282S cam. Make sure the converter is a bit loose (you won't have a ton of trq) and have a decent gear in it to keep it wound up. I'd run something like a 750DP (my 318 run that and an 850) I would almost guarantee this for mid 12's maybe better.I used a Holley strip dominator and later a Mopar M1

Sorry I didn't get back to your pm, been busy so I decided to post here.

So with the cam u recomended what parts would I need to change.whats done to the one that runs mid 12s?

Pretty much this. I don't know what parts I listed here that you don't have. Our pistons were forged and 2618 aluminum since the motor was meant to be sprayed. I think it could be done with ported magnum heads also, it would be pretty cool to find some 308 heads but I don't see a lot of them around.

How good do you wanna get at porting? 302 heads have the benefit of a closed chamber (read more compression and a quench pad) Unfortunately they have small ports and something like a 1.78/1.50 valve so that can be a restriction

How good do I wanna get? Good enough where a "decent" gain in HP is noticed. I've heard people going to 1.88/1.60 valves with mild porting.

If your going to put new valves in, skip right past the 1.88/1.60 and go to a 2.02 intake. Just because a 318 is small does not mean it does not like airflow.

I would also skip the dinosaur cams and get a modern grind that takes advantage of today's lobe technology. Spareparts is again a guy to listen to.

Heads, I would skip the stock junk entirely...by the time you find a decent set, spend the money to bring a set up to date, or buy from one of the head reconditioning companys and then do your own porting (TIME) and spring package to handle the cam, you mine as well step up to even an entry level aftermarket casting that is brand new, should technically flow better, etc.. Again, just my .02 cents.

With the 2.02 valves, I hear people mention valve shrouding. I've heard some say it wouldn't be an issue. I don't know because I've never tried it... Only read about it.

For camshaft selection, I picked out a Howards for my Street/Strip purposes. I may step it up in size depending on how things go.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-711915-12/overview/make/dodge

Aftermarket casting? Heads from Hughes Engines would fall into this category?

With the 2.02 valves, I hear people mention valve shrouding. I've heard some say it wouldn't be an issue. I don't know because I've never tried it... Only read about it.

For camshaft selection, I picked out a Howards for my Street/Strip purposes. I may step it up in size depending on how things go.

I have never had a 318 apart with a 2.02 head on it, but they are only a 3.91" bore as compared to a 360's 4.00" bore, so I can't imagine valve shrouding to be a problem (unless you are talking about the valves shrouding the chamber, not the bore, in which case its even more of a reason to get rid of those heads).

Hughes has aftermarket castings...I believe the iron rams? there are the RHS/Indy x heads also...I would keep my eyes peeled for a used set of W2's- they usually come with rocker gear, and finding headers and intakes for them is not difficult at all, and best part is they work well and are affordable. Just do your research as there were a lot of variations...Even used or NIB second hand eddy heads would be nice...Again, this stuff is not a necessity, but after doing this stuff to my car, I would keep what you already had until you were ready to step up to this stuff instead of trying to jimmy with the stock stuff.

Not sure what kind of rpm you are turning or what your compression is, but that cam is SMALL, I think personally even for a 318. And a hydraulic roller + rpm with a mopar's horrible stock lifter angle do not work well together unless you run a real real stout spring package at which point a solid roller would be the way to go (and the only way to go imo).

As was said, if you want a 318 to really run, its going to need some gear, a looser converter, and to rev to make the power. Just look at every 302 in a mustang- unless it runs a power adder like nitrous or a supercharger (and nothing wrong with those either), the N/A ones are right along the lines of where a powerful N/A 318 needs to be.

Again, just my 2 cents...I am no expert, so take it as you will

I would rather run something like this in a 318. With a 1.6 rocker, and the cam advanced on say a 102-104 ICL it should really run well I think.

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/hrs-711262-08/overview/make/dodge

Or if you really wanted to step up, install this roller on a 101ICL. With 10:1 compression I think there is potential for some nice power.

Again, both would need looser converter and steeper gears, but that is a given when running at this cubic inch. I only chose the howards since they are a good bang for the buck, although there are more modern grinds out there that would work as well

Don't worry about the shrouding, it's not bad enough to notch the bore or anything, the one I ran was .060 over and had 2.02 valves.

Mshred is offering good advice here

Someone 915s coming to buy some of my small block stuff.all signs have left me wondering im tired of tripping over my 440 .ive had it for sale for$200 bucks for a year now.someone called about some smallblock stuff.next call do u have the 440 uhhhh nope.lol I kbow what im gonna do now.everywhere I look on craigslist,440 parts I.need everywhere.my whole thought on a 440 build all on craigslist.I got bit by the bigblock bug.

so.....
squirrel-nut-cute-animal-nature-grass-1920x1280.jpg

So, a 318 will accept a 2.02 valve with no issues? I'm glad I haven't made any changes just yet because I was stuck on the 1.88's and porting my current heads. I know the converter will make or break a setup. I'm leaning towards PTC or FTI (both companies are great). I've always heard nice feedback about Howards Cams and think I'll be sticking with them as well. I can't wait to see the look on people faces when I say, "It's nothing but a little 318."

Thank you "mshred" and "SpareParts" for sharing valuable information. Many people frown upon purchasing a 318 for performance use. These little engines are capable of making decent power without much effort. I know I'm hooked on them.

:burnout:

-
Back