quick 318?

-

mopardart44067

Reaction score
There is lots of bashing and no love for 318s.I never c any running 12s whynot?those 318 builds making 400 hp should b running 12s in a a body right? So what would lets say 318 with zero deck pistons some decent heads maybe some 188 valve 302s xe268 cam stredtmaster intake 600 eddelbrock.headers 2 1/2 exhaust 373 lsd rear 275x60 tires maybe 2500 stall with just that little bit of work completly changes the 318 .my car has a 318 in it now I have a 318 on the stand I would like to build .im going to end up running a 5.9 360 magnum but first I want to play with the good ol 318s first..reson is I love 318s Ihave a few of the parts iI listed .I wana c it run in the 12s.second its gonna take lots more time to do the 5.9 I wanna make it perfect.

Ask spare parts. His 318 duster pulls the front wheels.

The thing i've noticed is that 90% of the builds on this forum are N/A. And displacement is key in N/A so most people skip over the 318.

There is lots of bashing and no love for 318s.I never c any running 12s whynot?those 318 builds making 400 hp should b running 12s in a a body right? So what would lets say 318 with zero deck pistons some decent heads maybe some 188 valve 302s xe268 cam stredtmaster intake 600 eddelbrock.headers 2 1/2 exhaust 373 lsd rear 275x60 tires maybe 2500 stall with just that little bit of work completly changes the 318 .my car has a 318 in it now I have a 318 on the stand I would like to build .im going to end up running a 5.9 360 magnum but first I want to play with the good ol 318s first..reson is I love 318s Ihave a few of the parts iI listed .I wana c it run in the 12s.second its gonna take lots more time to do the 5.9 I wanna make it perfect.

high 12's with that maybe.

the gear, stall, intake, cam, and carb are all limiting. plus small displacement has to have rpm to move a lot of air.

if you wanna make a 318 run then go this route.

zero deck, .030 over flat tops, magnum or RHS heads, a xe284 or xe295 cam, something in the 4,200 stall range, RPM Air Gap intake, prepped 650cfm double pumper, 1 inch 4 hole carb spacer, 4.57 or 4.88 gears.

put that in an a body with a good suspension and go mid 7's in the eighth and mid to high 11's in the quarter.

seen it done.

Say you're at 3400lbs with you in it??? With a very good converter, good suspension, and a little more gear, you need to make a solid 320/340hp to be consistently in the 12's. Can you do it, I'd say yes, but with your carb, cam, comp, in it's current form.......I doubt it.

With that said, summer is coming around and I'd have no problem throwing together a combo like you have available now. Might not go 12's, but should be a really fun street ride until you're ready to move up to the 360.

Ask spare parts. His 318 duster pulls the front wheels.

The thing i've noticed is that 90% of the builds on this forum are N/A. And displacement is key in N/A so most people skip over the 318.

Yeah but that guys a dick ;)

Here's how my brother approached his 318 which was in my car.
We don't have inches so let's use a lot of cylinder head and a healthy solid cam, rpm is the key with the short stroke. It was intended for nitrous and loved it, but on motor with too tight of a converter (killed the 60') it was consistent 12.40's
I wound it up and kept it there, shifted just under 8000, balance is important, we had a forged crank, motor was from a 68 3/4 ton Dodge

Chassis is key, no doubt. My car works well, it's set up for "street use"

You ran that engine to 8k?? wow, i kinda want a 318 now.

I love engines that rev to the moon and back.

its very possible, i no a guy running a 65/66 Stang with a 289 running consistent, and i mean consistent 11.30 ET's, they call him Mustang Andy, and no its not a stroker motor, he just knows his sh**, so to make a 318 run i'd say its very possible, always loved the 318 good motor and reliable!!!!!!!!! build it and run the sh** out of it, please keep us posted!!!

No offence, but what you just described would be lucky to run 14's....If you want "fast" don't bother with the 302 head, they are teeny tiny and made for efficiency, not power....If you are bent on making a 318 quick I would start with much better flowing heads, bigger cam, more converter, steeper gear, etc. JMO.

Yes, 318's will run. Let the E.T. slip tell you what you can do, and not everybody's opinion. The answer to any motor is tweak, tweak and tweak. Right combinations. I will give you a couple of real E.T. proven 318's. 1st example is stock. '73 Dart custom (4 door) with 318 2bbl, auto and 2.76 gears. It ran 15.70! Some people cant get their stock 340 duster out of the 15's with a factory 4bbl, better heads and hotter cam and 3.23. 2nd example is a throw-together 318. '76 Dart sport 318 auto 3.21. We added junk yard Thermoquad, cast intake and 360 heads (milled .040). Then we threw in a used 340 cam. Stock (tight) converter, stock 727. The converter could not be power braked over 1800 rpm without turning the tires. In other words, it was miserable converter for drag racing. It ran 14.40's at 96 mph. I'm talking about a stock block 318 with about 200 dollars worth of junk yard add-ons running mid 14's. An 11 inch (2400) converter and 3.55 gears this car would have waltzed into the 13's. Now, if we start talking better cam, heads, KB .030 pistons, deck height, compression, Ummmmmm........ YOU dream what your E.T. can be! I have more 318 stories but these here are enough to inspire you to go for it.... Oh, you don't see very many because it's just that 360's are as easy and cheap to get, so most just prefer the 42 more cubes.

Lets c some 12 second 318 combos stock stroke.naturally aspirated

Mine:

STD bore, stock rotator, cast crank, 273 rods, cast pistons sitting about .050 down in the hole, 360 heads, 2.02, 1.6 valves, angle milled down to 45cc, Comp Cams XTQ281S-6 cam, chipped at 7400, shifted at 6800, Torquer II intake, Holley 750 DP carb, 904 Tranny, 4800 rpm stall converter (behind a 360), 275/60x15 M/T Drag radials, 4.88 gears on a spool.

Went 12.54 at 108mph.

Attachments

• burnoutskyview.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 583
Lets say I follow one of the 400+ 318 builds with the right stall and suspension setup and gear and tire size what would it run?

Id like to build the one with the stock magnum heads and the comp 280h cam made 400hp then added a 100 shot for 509 hp.I also like that all the 400 hp builds use the kb167 pistons at zero deck

I've got too many projects in various states of chaos at the moment to get serious about it, but my idea of a FUN 318 would be one using the factory BBD, exhaust manifolds and running down in the high 14's in a full trim car. I'm putting together a daily driver 71 Swinger right now that will eventually get this treatment.

Yeah its really driving me nuts on what to pic for an engine.yeah it would b cool to have a fast 318 but at the same time its expensive to build a shortblock.a 5.9 from junkyard will cost less than half that.so many choices

Wow kb167 cost twice what kb107 cost.another thing will kb107 fit magnum block? Never c any builds on magnums with other than stock pistons.wonder how better a 5.9 would run with zero decked kb107

I know spareparts real well, 318 in a stick car went 117mph at #3200 no nitrous spin that thing, 4:30 gear 26" radials and left at 5800, fyi same gear on N20 just on a 275/60

Yeah ive been lookin into lxguys build I seen his build wanna duplicate it he had some expensive parts well for my budget joedust451 only ran 1250s.I want to run mid 11s

Yeah ive been lookin into lxguys build I seen his build wanna duplicate it he had some expensive parts well for my budget joedust451 only ran 1250s.I want to run mid 11s

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying....Are you saying you want to run mid 11's with a low budget 318?

A lot of good points supporting the 318. I agree that this engine is quite capable of low ET's with the right components and tuning as any engine, everything has to work together as a team (components) My only thoughts are, yes it's all possible but can it live twisting that engine every weekend to get to those ET's. Fun to go fast, but everyone knows speed costs money. So yes it can be done, but for the average guy with a mortgage, family and other commitments can this said racer afford to hurt the motor and replace broken parts and be back the next weekend at his local track if running, say a points class at his local track? If a guy is willing to spend the coins to go fast to prove what can be done with limited cubes, good for them, but years around this sport I've found out that someone else with more money can go faster. Heads up racing and a unlimited budget, yes it can be done and has been done, but if bracket racing for points or for fun, just being consistant gets you through the rounds. I've seen guys with very fast cars with lots of coins in the motor only to be loaded up after first round with a very slower car that was driven to the track and in the later rounds and taking money home. Sorry I may have gotten off topic here but my two cents.

My only thoughts are, yes it's all possible but can it live twisting that engine every weekend to get to those ET's. .
Yes, it can live. I know a guy at our local drag strip that has been drag racing a Dodge Truck in stock eliminator (and bracket racing) for over 20 years. He ran 318's for years. He ran a 318 long block for 4 years turning 7200 rpm every weekend with his 4000 lbs truck with 513 gears and about 5500 stall converter. Never broke. He is still there faithfully whenever I go to the strip. By the way, in the mid nineties he held the record for his class for 4 yrs straight with his 318.

-
Back