Quick Alternator Question

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 71 dodge demon and im using the 2 field alt. Does it matter what field lead on the alt that the blue and green wires go to?

Good question.

I don't think it matters as they both are field wires. But the shorter one goes to the bolt closest to the pivot bolt, and the other wire goes to the farther one.

I hope this helps a little.

is the blue shorter or the green. mine was a slant six car originally, now has a 340 and they seem about the same length.

I will have to go out and look at my son's car in the morning.

ok, thanks, but to the best of your knowledge it doesnt matter which field terminal the wires go to as long as they both go to field?

............Check the wires with the key on, engine off.......whichever wire has power goes to the field terminal closest to the pivot point...........kim........

As 67Dart273 says, it doesn't matter which way you connect. That is because it is an AC generator, hence the term "alternator" which replaced the older DC generators. The diodes convert the output to DC and "rectify" whichever direction you connect the field. However, to match the factory, use the wiring suggested above.

-
Back