Quick-Fuel VS Avenger?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Well the TQ isn't as wonderful as it was made to be but it was only a loner so back to the drawing board.

The fact it idles way better with the TQ leads me to think the Demon might have an internal issue.

Looking online at Quick-Fuel's street vacuum secondary carb how does it compare to an Avenger?

Anyone running either or?

Here is the car it's intended for
Specs: 1971 Plymouth Duster 340

edelbrock rpm intake

Stock J Heads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust and Crane Gold 1.5 ratio rocker arms.

3.55 gears and a 727 with 2800 stall -2500rpm actual- stage 2 shift kit from transgo.

It runs a Hughes cam #heh2328al

111deg lobe seperation/installed centerline 108deg
intake lift .506/ exhaust .524
[email protected] Intake223deg/ Exhaust 228deg

Engine is .060 over with Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons on stock rods and a stock forged crank.

Ignition is an FBO box –similar to mopar orange/chrome box

I am running a 670 Street Avenger on a hot 360 (~370 HP) and it is a great carb. It went from the box to the car and has not been touched since (~15k miles).

I had tried a Holley 3310 750 and it didn't have the throttle response of the Street Avenger and didn't have any more top end. I also tried a 725 Road Demon again no more top end and miserable throttle reposne below 2000 rpm. I also tried a 600 Holley. The Street Avenger has just as good throttle reponse as the 600 and has a noticeable improvement above 4000 rpm.

BTW, the car has run a very very traction limited best of 13.7 seconds at 102 mph and a 2.2 60' with the 600. I don't have any numbers for the 670.

I would say the 670 would be ideal for your 340. The 770 is more carb than the engine can use unless you are spinning it in excess of 6000 rpm all the time and you will be giving up throttle response below 4000 rpm.

The price of the avenger is much easier to handle but side by side it and the quick fuel look similar in some aspects. Like to hear someone with the quickfuel street carb yet but I've been thinking about the avenger for some time now.

71 duster, It may not be what others have told you but if I had your combo I would have gone with a 700dbl pumper especially with 2800 stall, the 4 corner idle helps a lilttle.

There is a guy I know that bought one but never ran it cause all his chevy friends told him it was too big for his 327 4spd lol, so it's a score new in the box for $350 here's his #760 433 9770 ask for rich if interested, oh and it's the shinny version too.

Should Talk to BIGS performance Carbs..Im getting a 750 DP from him with a HP main Body... I cant wait its like Christmas

ive run the 670 avenger,it worked well.but its not all its cracked up to be.i agree with one of the other posts,id run a 650 or 700 DP.im currently running a650 on my 340 with a very similar set up as yours.also if you can find a 4010 holley they have excellent throttle response , are solid aluminum,and use annular boosters.actully the new summit carbs are nothing more than a 4010 with the summit logo on them.

1407 Edelbrock 750 Manual choke. Works perfect on my 360/Ede RPM.
Have always had good luck with the Edelbrocks. Plus I like how all the factory fuel line,kick down etc,hook right up.

faucet pics 827.jpg

Another vote for the Avenger. Basically, they are 3310s with a secondary metering block. Used, they are a good deal. I like electric choke and vacuum secondaries. I have a almost stock 770 on my 410/11:1/Hyd Roller and its very consistent. I have used an my LM-1 to check A/F ratio and it isn't bad. Cruise is a little fat, but idle and WOT are on the money.

The quick fuel piece is basically the same thing, but allows you more adjustability by having removeable idle feed restrictions in the primary metering block as well as removable air bleeds in the main body.

If you are a tinkerer and planning to invest in an LM-1, go for the QF piece. If you want bolt on and go, then the Avenger gets the nod.

Either way, the holley throttle linkage piece makes the install clean, but I recommend a regulator. The fuel line situation is not as clean as an edelbrock/afb naturally, but can be done cleanly.

I like the holley stye carbs as I have had more heat soak problems and fuel control issues from g force (braking and turns) from the edlebrock/afb design.

In my bad experiances with carbs I bought a brand new edelbrock avs thunder and put it on and watched it POUR fuel down the bores. Pulled the top off the floats where way off re-set the float back on and it was still mainlineign fuel at an idle. Pulled it apart again to check the needle and seat all looked good. I returned the carb the next day with a bad taste in my mouth for edelbrock.

I've had my Demon for 4 years now and never got it right, the loner TQ I was trying idles leaps and bounds better then the Demon which makes me think it has an internal issue.

I got looking at vacuum secondary carbs as my Demon is a mechanical and I hear so many people tell me with my small converter and cam on a street car the mechanical secondaries are killing the car.

As far as fuel lines go I have a dual feed line for my Demon I would assume will swap to the avenger, No regulator though is it nesseceary with a high volume mechanical pump?

Looking at the Holley website the 4150 mechanical secondary double pumper they dont recomend over 600cfm

I run a 340 just over .500 lift and 9.8 comp w/4spd & 3.73 and run a 750dbl holley and let me tell you it rules power wise over the 650dbl I had before.

Granted you do not have a 4spd & 3.73 gears which is why I rec the 700 vac sec holley, it'll rule on your motor compared to a 600 anything.

-
Back