quick lower control arm question

-

coolhandluke

Reaction score
Hey guys, my car started making a knocking, thumping kind of noise when I'm driving for the past few weeks. I got the car (65 dart) a year ago and it's my daily driver. When I got the car the previous owner had put in tubular upper control arms, new tie rod ends, lower ball joints, idler arm. The noise was getting worse when I was going around a right turn, and basically disappeared when going around left turns. It seemed like it was coming from the passenger side, so I looked and the lower control arm bushing looked like it was almost gone. So today I ordered bushings and took both lower control arms off.

There seems to be some sideways play between the control arm and the shaft (that the front of the torsion bar slides into). It's not a HUGE amount, but it's been awhile since I've taken one of these apart and was wondering if there was supposed to be ANY sideways play, rocking motion between the shaft and arm. Any ideas?
Thanks guys!
Luke

Some of the play you may be describing is the worn bushing, but watch this video for other play and how to fix it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwes-SP8u4w&feature=share&list=UUqvjc-8llEE-JKNFYw30-NQ"]Control arm repair - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you so very much Jim, mine has about the amount that the one on the right in your first picture has, maybe 1/8" to 3/16" side to side play. How much difference do those stiffening plates make? My car's just a daily driver with the stock old torsion bars, no sway bar

I absolutely love that video and it's in my favorites folder. Great info.

-
Back