Quick question about windshields (front and back) and butyl

-

1969ProDart

Reaction score
Ok I read a few threads on installing windshields. I know the front most people apply the seal to the body first then start working in the glass. What my question is when should the butyl come into play. I bought two tubes of butyl for a caulking gun. Which in my head would of been an easier application. Should I apply butyl to the pinch weld first then seal then glass? Or butyl seal then mount seal then glass?

Also what steps should I take with the rear..

Working on a 69 Dart hardtop thanks.

Everybody has their own methods. I don't think anyone can say which is best.
I put the sealant on the fence then push the gasket into it. Please note, the fence is a lot longer than the gasket will reach so put the sealant near its end or edge.
Next I put sealant inside the gasket. Then I put the glass in working from bottom up.
Yes I have a big mess to clean up. I reuse the OEM gaskets though and haven't had any leaks.

I just want a little insight on how people successfully got it done. So I can look forward to other ways if one wouldn't work for me lol.

Another tip, set the gasket and glass as deep as you can squeezing out as much sealant as you can. Otherwise the top of the gasket may not lay right to the headliner.
If the gasket does stand away from the headliner a little, gravity along with the hot sun will lay it on in eventually.

Put the glass and gaskets in, THEN seal around the fence with some liquid butyl like this:

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRL-Black-PTI-707-Butyl-Rubber-Sealant-/251451199640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8ba8d098"]CRL Black PTI 707 Butyl Rubber Sealant | eBay[/ame]

I tried stuffing it between the rubber and the fence, ended up just running a bead in the channel and calling it a day. Clean up with mineral spirits and a rag. Leave the trim off till you run a garden hose on it and leave it over night so you can chase leaks.

-
Back