Quick question bout making a slant quick......

-

Perfek360

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 72 scamp and it comes with a slant 6 in it. Now my plans for the car are to make it a street/strip car. Was thinking of converting it to run a v8, but was wondering how easy or difficult would it be to hop up the motor so i could get the slant into the 14s? Never messed around with these motors before, so I'm not sure what set ups would produce the best power. If its not too difficult i might just say screw the v8 and go slant. I've always been a fan of the smaller "underdog type" motors and building them up. Not looking into any kind of FI, I want to keep the build NA. I'm use to sohc 4 bangers with boost, so this is all new! All help is appreciated.

I'm looking at getting a 72 scamp and it comes with a slant 6 in it. Now my plans for the car are to make it a street/strip car. Was thinking of converting it to run a v8, but was wondering how easy or difficult would it be to hop up the motor so i could get the slant into the 14s? Never messed around with these motors before, so I'm not sure what set ups would produce the best power. If its not too difficult i might just say screw the v8 and go slant. I've always been a fan of the smaller "underdog type" motors and building them up. Not looking into any kind of FI, I want to keep the build NA. I'm use to sohc 4 bangers with boost, so this is all new! All help is appreciated.

i dont know the ins and outs to making a /6 into a great little motor but i know 14s are reasonable outta the motor. any weight you can shave off the car will make the motor need less work to get it into the 14 range but if you wanna have a stock interior it will take work but can be done

yup no problem. a guy near me bought 2 slant 6 motors from my brother to build into race motors and i think he said hes in the 11's but i dont know if he has forced induction

Yeah, I know FI is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get power. I've built kits for $500 before and had cars in the 13s off those kits, but it wasn't as reliable as it could have been. Since they were cheap $150 sohc honda motors I didn't really care. But I'm done with all the swapping of motors and dealing with the problems that come with boost. I know i'm not out of the dark with problems when it comes to racing, but I just want to do something different.

Most of my slants run 14 or less 1/4 times. Hop over to slantsix.org and look at the engine section (engine matrix thread) and the race section.
When you get your budget set give me a holler. I have speed parts for sale ( I am the US Aussie Speed Distributor) and build race slants.
Frank

Most of my slants run 14 or less 1/4 times. Hop over to slantsix.org and look at the engine section (engine matrix thread) and the race section.
When you get your budget set give me a holler. I have speed parts for sale ( I am the US Aussie Speed Distributor) and build race slants.
Frank

thanks man, i'll take a look at that site

Frank

Yeah, I was thinking that if I could get it into the 14s for $1000 or less then I would keep the motor in. But if its gonna run more then that I'd probably take the $1000 and convert over to a 318 or 360. Just need an idea of an amount I could expect to pay, I know I could get really expensive with it if I wanted to. I just don't have too much money to throw at it. Well, let me refrase that, I could buy all the nice expensive parts, but it would take a year or two to save and piece together the set up, and i'm too impatient for that :-D....at least for a 14 second set up.

Hum $1000 budget.... You will be hard pressed to be happy with anything for that kind of money. A V8 swap even if you were given the motor will be more than that as you must change almost everything under the hood including the radiator, trans, power steering (if so Equipped), K member, wiring,etc.
I would think you could get close for $2500 if you can do a lot of the work your self. Good thing is you can continue to drive the slant most of the time through the build.
Frank

-
Back