quick question on over flow tank?

-

igreer141

Reaction score
hey guys while doing a quick fluid check on my '75 dart i noticed that the over flow tank has "do not fill" written on it...?huh? so in further inspection i noticed that there is a crack on the bottom of the tank. when i fill the radiator with coolant and start the car a small amount of coolant leaks out of there. so my questions are is there anyplace that makes a stock replacement one or some one that has a NOS one...or there is alot of "universal" ones out there and would it just be easier to grab one of those and which one would be the best for a high school kid budget? thanks

I bought a factory one with no cracks for 4 bucks shipped and it was nicely cleaned up. If wanted new would need to find nos.
It says dont fill cause once its in the bottle it wont ever go back in the radiator

I bought a factory one with no cracks for 4 bucks shipped and it was nicely cleaned up. If wanted new would need to find nos.
It says dont fill cause once its in the bottle it wont ever go back in the radiator

Were can i find a factory one!!! Is there any tape or epoxy or something that i could use.

I don't see where anybody is making them new. Keep checking ebay and your local Craig's list. We get Darts being parted out from time to time. Check local bone yards even the four door models. Post on the various mopar forum buy and sell threads. Somebody has one out there. One will show up. In the mean time you can buy a cheap aftermarket one to retain your coolant and replace it when you finally find a factory one.

Is there any tape or epoxy or something that i could use.

If you plan to replace this one for sure you can take a Dremel with a large engraver bit (looks like a ball with sharp ridges around it) and very carefully make a shallow groove along the top of the crack and then go slightly beyond both edges of the crack. Fill the groove with Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone and try to flex the bottle just a little to work a little into the crack itself.

It's a semi-temporary fix that will buy you time but obviously you will be permanently defacing the bottle.

Y-1 use to have these coolant recovery tanks, not anymore. If working right they do return the coolant back to the radiator. That's what they are for.
You don't FILL the tank but fill it up to the line on the tank and it will maintain the coolant in radiator. Used first on a/c cars.
You might find a universal coolant tank on eBay. Used to find them at K-mart, parts stores, ect. Hard to find anymore. Most are hard to install on our cars though because of room. Speed shops has fancy shiny aluminum ones. All drag cars must have them.
If you have a '73 up A body and need one, message me, I have a couple.

I'm using a prestone bottle for mine. If your on a budget that will be the best way to go. You can see the top of it in my signature pic.

-
Back