Quick Question on Reducing Steering Effort

-

72dart_swinger

Reaction score
I will start off by saying that this question is for a project that isnt mopar related, but out of caster, camber, and kingpin angle which has the most effect on steering effort. Also what are the optimal angles to have the easiest steering?

To much caster would make the steering hard cause its trying to make car go in a straight line. At the same time the weight of the car doesn't help. you can tell when you have to much caster when the car leans to one side when you turn the wheel. also rear ride hight can change that to.

Caster dictates steering effort. All cars have caster. kingpins or not. Positive caster is more difficult to steer

NEGative caster makes a car wander and very hard to control in a turn. The vehicle will want to follow every rut and dip. POSitive caster helps the steering to return to its center, making a vehicle more stable.

So I just want to be sure I got this, negative caster is easier to steer. I am not too concerned with stability as this is a small low speed, home made buggy that will be used around the house in the yard. It has manual steering and I just wanted it to steer easily. How much negative caster is too much, 5*, or is there a range to stay in?

Caster around zero degrees will be easy to steer but will not return on its own. 1-2 degrees positive caster will still be easy, but will return. I wouldn't build anything with negative caster.

Is it steered by a steering box? or by shafts,pivit, or so on? Also king pins have a thrust washers on the bottom of axle. If ther worn out thay dont help at all. And if thay dont have grease to.

Discounting contributing factors like vehicle weight, tire size (primarily footprint), and power steering variances (pump pressures, etc.), the design items that contribute to steering effort are king pin inclination, caster angle, and wheel offset.
King pin inclination takes the pivot axis and tilts it in at the top (closer to the vehicle centerline) to make it intersect the tire tread centerline at the ground plane, minimizing scrub. This causes a jacking effect (literally raising the front of the vehicle) when the wheels are turned from straight ahead. Spindles that have a high angle designed in increase steering effort dramatically (case in point; the fox bodied Mustang with this angle at 17 degrees). Because this angle is fixed into the design of any given spindle, making sure the wheel/tire conbination of height and offset centers the tire's tread on this axis at the ground plane will do the most to minimize scrub and reduce steering effort provided caster angles are held to within reason. This is generally thought to be 2 to 6 degrees positive (top of the spindle to the rear) in most cases, although some straight axle designs have more designed in.

-
Back