Quick question

-

DRVDuster

Reaction score
Hello all, can I replace the camshaft of a stock 318 with a OEM cam of a 360, if so, what other parts do I need to change?

Yes...............but.................

I assume the 360 cam is used? If so you MUST have the original lifters in their original positions.

If not, buy a new or reground cam.

Hello all, can I replace the camshaft of a stock 318 with a OEM cam of a 360, if so, what other parts do I need to change?

Cam and lifters, follow proper breakin procedure. You can use new lifters with an old cam but not the other way around.

Ok, so new cam and lifters.
Is this a good upgrade? I mean for a stock engine, is it worth it?

It is worth it. Are you running single or dual exhaust.

The 318 really benefits from adding dual exhaust. It will make the cam run even better than if you still had single. that cam with dual exhaust will run very well.

Everything else is compatable when you replace the cam. Put in the cam, lifters and bolt on the other original pushrods, rockers, valve covers.

headers, cam, head flow ability (including valve size), carb cfm, intake flow, compression ratio, torque converter stall, and rear gear ratio all work in unison.

making 1 real big does not make for big gains. you will gain a slight improvement from only changing the camshaft. thats why a lot of people get a 2nd engine and build it up, and then swap it when they are ready.

Yeah, but the 318 really runs better with dual exhaust - been there done that.

then the cam will make it run better for him.

He's looking to go one step at a time, no need to overwhelm him with a total rebuild...

Agree on the exhaust my dippy really liked the duals and walker muffs.

I put a dual exhaust on a stock 70 Swinger 318. Before the duals, it took almost half a mile to get from 60 to 100 MPH. After installing a dual exhaust with crossover, only a few blocks! Huge difference. The stock exhaust on a 318 is too restrictive. The bottleneck for the whole engine.

The engine has headers, an eddelbrock torker I intake manifold, holley 4 bb, not entirely stock (my bad), because of the intake (stamped 340) I assume it has 360 heads, so I think a bigger cam would be great, but I´m on a budget, any advise with this info.

being in mexico this could be one of those factory 318 with the 340 heads and i dont know for sure but they came with a bigger cam then a regular 318. someone in here recently showed his barracuda with one of those engines. might be worth looking into it cause the 360 cam might be a down grade instead.

Don't take this wrong. the edelbrock torker340 is about the worst intake ever for a SB mopar. They should have taken every torker340, smelted them down, and cast LD340's with the recycled aluminum!

You'd be better off with a stock 340 intake.

Don't take this wrong. the edelbrock torker340 is about the worst intake ever for a SB mopar. They should have taken every torker340, smelted them down, and cast LD340's with the recycled aluminum!

You'd be better off with a stock 340 intake.

I did a little research about this and I found good and bad opinions about this intake, but there are guys using it in their engine that seem pretty happy with it, any experiences anyone could share?

I did a little research about this and I found good and bad opinions about this intake, but there are guys using it in their engine that seem pretty happy with it, any experiences anyone could share?

i had a 340 with 10.5 and a mopar 509 cam. torq manifold 850 dp. it had a big off idle stumble (its the way i bout it) i put a ld340 manifold on it. and no other changes it got quicker, no hesitations, the mileage came up, the engine had more power in the higher rpms. now maybe i could have worked on the tuning of the carb and made it run better but i would rather drive. i dont think i hate them as much as crackedback, but i wont run one there are worse manifolds out there like a offy 360 dual port manifold. thats a candidate for scrap and i do agree with crackedback a factory 340-360 manifold is better for all around street use

-
Back