quick question

-
thank you for tellin me to move the wheel, it helped a lot and thanks to that Dakota starter, it starts right up no problems, thanks everyone!

i got a 65 barracuda with a 318 in it. is there any way i can get the starter off the transmission without removing the engine block or taking apart the suspension?

I got a 64 dart 273 in it and had to take starter to tranny shop and had them put it in with rear freeze plugs. They dropped the tranny!!!!

I tried to drop starter in driveway, I'm no kid, 48 years and have tools to prove it. I couldn't get it out either. If anyone wants pics, I got them too!
Really tight fit!!!!

Good Luck!8)

Sorry late read again!!

thank you for tellin me to move the wheel, it helped a lot and thanks to that Dakota starter, it starts right up no problems, thanks everyone!
YEAAAAAH! :wav: Congratulations, no1newb!
You succeeded in doing something that can be extremely frustrating, no matter how much experience you have.
Keep it up - lots more frustration in the future, but what a great feeling when you get it done and the problem is fixed.
Always get lots of information and advice first instead of just guessing about how to do things. You don't have to learn stuff the hard way. That's what this site is all about...making it easier to do great things.
Another expert-in-the-making is on the scene!

Please keep in mind above all else: It really is true that taking your mind off safety for even a few seconds can lead to permanent problems. I don't know how old you are, but when you're young, that can be very difficult to understand. Check out the previous posts from some of the older guys. Rumblefish was stern because he (and we) don't want you to make a mistake that can destroy everything. It's hard to make a serious point with just typed words without sounding mean. But we ALL want you to succeed!

And congratulations again - you did good!:cheers:

I like to put a stud in the top starter hole, when changing/installing the starter you can just hang the shims (if needed) on the stud, grab the starter with one hand while holding a beer with the other hand and literally throw the starter onto the stud and it will hang there while you go eat a bologna sammich.

Never drink beer while working under a car and PLEASE get someone that knows what they are doing to teach you how to jack a car up off the ground and support it SAFELY, listen to them, ask questions and take notes, I have seen the aftermath of two people that didnt and one of em is dead, squashed flat, brake drum to the head.

Kudos for sticking with it no1newb!! It sure feels good when you can do the job yourself.....and like everyone else said, safety never takes a holiday!! Working without jackstands is just asking for trouble. Great Job!!

Try to tip the starter up toward the front and slide the nose down and out past the drag link.You may have to turn the steering some for clearance.

Like this guy posted.........Turn the steering wheel some to put the drag link where you need it. Mine would come out. If you get it out then go to the salvage yard and buy a small one. But the big one will come out and go in.

yeah, i got jack stands before i did it and moving the steering wheel is the only way i could get it out, and tilting it.

I know it feels great when you start your car up and you know YOU put the starter in. I'm curious about something, do the mini-starters still have the special Mopar sound?

no, at least mine sounds different a lot different, it sounds like most cars now. which is a little disappointing, but its because it has that much more torque.

but now something else is going wrong, i atleast got to drive it for a day and a half, i posted another thread, and im hopefully guna get it up and runnin again tomorrow.

well, i know what it is now, when i replaced the starter i didnt think to look where the cables were going through, but i found out yesterday that the wire going to the ignition actually melted to my exhaust manifold. so yeah, just a matter of changing that and im back on the road.

img00194c.jpg

Welcome to our world. Im impressed your sticking with it and picked a unique old ride. Hands on is the only way to go. The wire was probably a pain but was well worth the education. You'll remember that from now on. Stick with it ask questons and someone will help. Thats what all these guys are here for.

thanks, does anyone know if theres a complete wireing harness i can get so i can just completely rewire the car. im coming across wires that lead to nothing and are completely bare. and im still having some trouble with either the starter relay(no evidence it could be the starter relay) or just some old faulty wire.

thanks, does anyone know if theres a complete wireing harness i can get so i can just completely rewire the car. im coming across wires that lead to nothing and are completely bare. and im still having some trouble with either the starter relay(no evidence it could be the starter relay) or just some old faulty wire.

Actually, there are three harnesses that are involved; engine forward, dash harness, rear. These are all available in repro. Start saving 'cuz they ain't cheap. I had to replace the underhood wiring on the Demon. The ones I got from Year One fit perfect from end to end.

Suggestion 1: Find a wiring diagram for your car. Some are available in reprint hard copy, others are on CD. A good diagram will list color of wires, so if you find a "mystery" cut-off wire, you can use the diagram to track it down.

Suggestion 2: Everything in the car connects through the bulkhead connectors near the master cylinder. It is a PITA, but worthwhile activity, to clean the electrical connections. It made the world of difference in both of my Darts. Lights are brighter, fan blows harder, and loading on the alternator is lower. Before you start, disconnect the ground at the battery.

Congrats on hanging in there with the starter. I feel your pain with cut-off wires that go nowhere. These cars survived under dash 8-tracks and CBs, and it shows.

alright, ill look into those, also, i replaced the starter relay and it starts up fine now.

I changed the starter in my '69 Coronet R/T without a jack, and the K-frame was about 4" above the ground. Now my '64 273 GT Dart was a lot harder. I had to jack the motor up a bit. I installed a starter out of a GTX parts car I once had, and this is how I found out big block starters really are larger than small block starters.

a company called evans makes the repop wire harnes for these cars,,look and see if you can get it cheaper buying it from them as to buying it froma middle man like year one,,

if you find evans one the internet,,you may want to ask for the up graded engine bay harness it will be wired for a electronic ignition,,so you wont have to chop it up to do that up grade,,i sugest you do the ignition up grade,,,,

here is the companys name that has correct color coded hard copy wiring diagrams,,,they have 2 size boards at a very cheap price

www.classiccarwiring.com or ( 917 ) 861 9131

-
Back