Quick Release Steering Wheel in 65 Dart GT

-

Sir Hiss

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with installing a quick release steering wheel on a mopar. I have a 65 Dart GT with a 3 bolt Grant classic steering wheel. I want to install a quick release hub from Grant for track use without welding it in. They sell a 3 bolt quick release hub with a spline for my steering wheel but it is advertised for fitting a GM or Ford. In the description it states it is for steering shafts with a 36 spline count. Will that Hub assembly fit on my Dart? I counted the teeth on an original mopar steering wheel and it also had 36 splines leading me to believe the GM quick release hub from Grant will fit? Has anyone done this on their a body? I'd prefer not to weld on.
Thanks
Garret

I always wondered why stock cars have quick release steering wheels, a safety measure of some kind, an anti-theft device? Some info would be helpful now that the subject has a thread. Thank you.

I always wondered why stock cars have quick release steering wheels, a safety measure of some kind, an anti-theft device? Some info would be helpful now that the subject has a thread. Thank you.

Hi Dibbons,

On the street they certainly serve as a theft deterrent (as long as you take it with you or at least put it in the trunk; otherwise it's more of a theft opportunity), however the main benefit of a detachable wheel is to make getting in (and especially) getting out of the car easier. Although I like to think NOT having one helps keep me more flexible,

Dave

Attachments

• DrtOffic.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 363
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60724/10002/-1

even though it says GM spline...I have that on a 71 Duster and 71 Demon....set up for a 5 hole steering wheel...i just redrilled the steering wheel using the hub as a template

Thanks. I think I am going that route. I saw some of your pics on an older thread. Very helpful! I read that you had to grind a little bit. Should I be aware of anything else with the install?

Thanks. I think I am going that route. I saw some of your pics on an older thread. Very helpful! I read that you had to grind a little bit. Should I be aware of anything else with the install?

Wondering how it worked out

-
Back