Quitting smoking.

-
It's been 2 weeks now. Still smoke free! It's not getting any easier yet but I am still hopeful that it will.

How are you other quitters doing? Hanging in there I hope.

Jack

Put that $10 a pack (WOW! That would make my cheap *** quit!) you mentioned on the first page in a jar. You could pay off your mortgage early with it!

I've quit smoking (gotten to the point of not clenching my hands any time I pay for gas because what I really want is to jump across the counter and start eating cigarettes off that rack until they tranq dart me) twice now. It's hard, the first time I did it I used baby carrots in a baggie. Any time I'd feel that f'n monkey screech for nicotine, I'd whip out a carrot. I got used to the bugs bunny jokes sooner than I got over the smokes but it was worth it. Ten years, ending up around two packs a day. Smoked when I woke up, ****... I'd wake up in the middle of the night to smoke. Took about two months to consider myself quit, took about five to really feel like a nonsmoker.

Then I let a bad breakup excuse me putting a butt back in my mouth, and it's been a longer trip this time, it really put the hooks. Even though I never got back to pack a day and I only daily-smoked for about seven months, it took me closer to a year to quit the second time.

So I guess what I'm saying is two things: 1 - Congratulations! You made it to two weeks., that is the hardest part. Once you make it to a month, you'll start noticing the way stuff smells again, and that's another fun encouragement to stay off. 2 - Don't ever put a cigarette back in your mouth again, not when you're cryin' over love nor worryin' over money. I believe there are certain people who can smoke a cigarette, think nothing of it, and put it down, never to think about it again. I am not one of those people. And after 44 years of pack a day, you ain't either. It had claws in you deep, and if you let it get them in again it will make you pay for it.

I've quit smoking (gotten to the point of not clenching my hands any time I pay for gas because what I really want is to jump across the counter and start eating cigarettes off that rack until they tranq dart me) twice now. It's hard, the first time I did it I used baby carrots in a baggie. Any time I'd feel that f'n monkey screech for nicotine, I'd whip out a carrot. I got used to the bugs bunny jokes sooner than I got over the smokes but it was worth it. Ten years, ending up around two packs a day. Smoked when I woke up, ****... I'd wake up in the middle of the night to smoke. Took about two months to consider myself quit, took about five to really feel like a nonsmoker.

Then I let a bad breakup excuse me putting a butt back in my mouth, and it's been a longer trip this time, it really put the hooks. Even though I never got back to pack a day and I only daily-smoked for about seven months, it took me closer to a year to quit the second time.

So I guess what I'm saying is two things: 1 - Congratulations! You made it to two weeks., that is the hardest part. Once you make it to a month, you'll start noticing the way stuff smells again, and that's another fun encouragement to stay off. 2 - Don't ever put a cigarette back in your mouth again, not when you're cryin' over love nor worryin' over money. I believe there are certain people who can smoke a cigarette, think nothing of it, and put it down, never to think about it again. I am not one of those people. And after 44 years of pack a day, you ain't either. It had claws in you deep, and if you let it get them in again it will make you pay for it.

I hear you Javitron. If I can get past this first part then I think the rest won't be to hard. I am a real stubborn SOB.

Jack

To all you trying to kick the habit, I wish for you the strength to pull yourselves through. My wife just had a football-size tumor cut out of her. While it wasn't lung cancer, it sacred her enough to kick the habit. I'm hoping you can give it up without having to go through something like that.

Good luck!

So far so good on the health. No issues related to smoking here.

Hope your wife is feeling better. That would scare the crap out of anybody.

Jack

Day 24 and stilling wanting a smoke....Hey I quit because it was time and my best friend Jake just got his bladder and part of his intestines removed from cancer caused by smoking...Now it jumped to his lungs and he is under going chemo...
jabdusty57,your wife is in my prayers.
jarvitron.Thanks for the inside information on what to expect...I really want to know when the craving start to disappear and such...
Jack.I am a few days ahead of ya and if I can do it anyone can...Stay strong you quitters.LOL

Congrats to everyone here who is trying to quit.........it is hard but worth it!...my cheap *** would only need to add up the cost over a year for motivation......

Congrats to everyone here who is trying to quit.........it is hard but worth it!...my cheap *** would only need to add up the cost over a year for motivation......

I hear you on the cost part. I figure that if I can quit, I can save enough to pay for my 6-71 setup in one year.

Jack

Today marks the end of the 3rd week of being a quitter. It has been a little tougher this past week with all the party's to go to. But I have stayed the course and still have not had a smoke. Wife says I'm not all that crabby either. LOL

Jack

Today marks the end of the 3rd week of being a quitter. It has been a little tougher this past week with all the party's to go to. But I have stayed the course and still have not had a smoke. Wife says I'm not all that crabby either. LOL

Jack
4th week for me...Hey I bought my nieces and nephews Christmas presents with cigarette money or the money I would of spent on them...
Craving still there and waiting for them to disappear but I am determined.

Im 11.9 months into my vice, Diet Coke. Still on the wagon, not really craving them anymore. May end up continuing this petty 2012 resolution......Coudln't hurt me. Good luck ex-smokers, the life your saving may be your loved ones.

Not to be rude here but how do people get addicted to smoking? And have such a hard time stopping.
I smoked a cigar last night and dont really feel the need for more. Same with alcohol.

A few things that may help in the difficult battle.

Think like a soldier going into battle since this actually is a life and death battle. A soldier learns everything he can about his enemy and the one that knows the most tends to win.

Triggers are your enemy. Make a written list and carry it with you, update it often. Alcohol, coffee breaks, :coffee2: meals, driving etc etc. The big deal breaker is unexpected stress of any kind.

Try to see it coming. A soldier sends out scouts. Do a scouting ritual in the morning when you get up. Do it again at noon. Take the path that avoids as much stress as possible. Walking into danger is a recipe for defeat. :banghead: :sad4: Some people are irritating. Limit those interactions (tough if its your wife :boxing: ). Recruit her to join the cause. :-#

For the things you can't avoid, be ready. If you see it coming, you can put in place a mental "chock" that keeps the brain from activating into its craving mode. A chock works to keep things from getting moving.

A mental chock is the soldier on battle alert. It starts with a firm affirmation, "I will not let this situation defeat me". For those who believe in prayer for strength this is the time.

A soldier has weapons for countering attacks. Find out what works for you and make a written list. Carry your weapons. Distraction can take many forms. Use alternate activities like a walk, reading, call a friend, snacks, etc. :bball: Put some serious thought and effort into developing weapons. You are a soldier! A craving attack usually subsides within about 2 minutes. You can fight that long.

For motivation think of those who you love and love you. A soldier is willing to die for his country, but does more good if he lives. You must fight to live for your people. Your life is more important to these people than you can imagine. They need you to stay alive. There is nothing more powerful than the love of others to generate unselfish power to overcome hardship.

If you haven't set a quit date yet be smart about it. A lot of thought went into the timing for D day. Planning is critical. If you don't have energy to put into planning, examine your life to find the barriers. It's a fight worth fighting.

Hope that helps someone.
Merry Christmas!

Jack
been over 4 years for me. no cravings whatsoever. all i have to do is think about how much money the canadian government was sucking fom my wallet when i was sucking on a cigarette was enough to lose all cravings. not to mention the 2 mopars i have bought with money saved from not killing myself and filling govrnment coffers. way to go.

Not to be rude here but how do people get addicted to smoking? And have such a hard time stopping.
I smoked a cigar last night and dont really feel the need for more. Same with alcohol.

I got addicted to cigarettes when I was a kid, (12), it was the cool thing to do. You usually don't get addicted after one or two. It takes a little time. Well, after a while you just have to have a smoke so you do. It gets to the point where your mind can make you ill if you try to quit as well as the body reacting to the lack of nicotine. That part only lasts a little while. Then it is the habits that made you want a smoke that you have to learn to control. Like having a smoke right after you eat or when you have a beer. Those are the hard ones for me.

Jack

Congrats' to all who have quit, I did it on new years day 6 years ago. Just stay the course and be strong. Your adding years to your life and the quality of your life as well. No more feeling like **** all day from sucking on carcinogens and toxins. Your energy will start improving and your, sense of smell and taste will come back. But you will feel so much better and can spend the time wasted and money saved working on your cars and buying mopar parts. I just kept thinking of the how badly I was treating my body and the years I was taking off my life and I was able to stick to it.
We lost my mother in law at 55 just 2 years ago to cancer, it was the worst thing I had ever seen. She had fast growing small cell cancer (from smoking) spread all over her body. First she lost sight in one eye because of a brain tumour. Was also in her liver, lungs, kidneys and she withered away to bones within only a few months and was blind by the end of it. RIP MAW

The meds didn't work at all. Chantix turned Sarah's life into a living hell.

I am on the Canadian version of Chantix. It's call Champix. I was told it could have some bad side effects so I told the wife to keep an eye on me. So far she says all is good.

Jack
Yep, 2 pack a day here. I used to smoke 4 when I drove a "Emergency" wrecker in Houston, Tx.. The stress did that! I have tried the Chantix too. It gave me horribly vivid nightmares but did cut me back to 10 cigs a day. I didn't make it long until the dreams put an end to that drug. I also tried the Zyban/Welbutrin as well. They didn't work at all. Cold turkey about killed me and all around me. I was a scary, mean person during those few days. Marlboro has me by the twins. My Grandfather gave me my first pack of Salem when I was 13 and now I am 44. His old honery azz is still kicking at 84 and still smokes his Salems. I was diagnosed with COPD about 7 years ago.

My next and hopefully last option is the E-cig Prine mentioned. I am to the point of consistant heartburn and loose my breath with a walk through the yard. Its bad when I can't keep up with my 8 year old daughter. I think its had alot of impact on my 14 year old daughter as she has Asthma. It not only hurts you and I but the ones we love too!!!

Good luck and I wish you well! I will be getting the E-cig before the end of the year and begin this trip down the same looooooong bumpy road again for the New Year!](*,)

Robert

im going to be joining this escapade after the new year.....for the um-teenth time. kudos to you gents, wishing you the best of luck, because i DO know how hard it can be, and for me, it friggin is.....:banghead:

Yep, 2 pack a day here. I used to smoke 4 when I drove a "Emergency" wrecker in Houston, Tx.. The stress did that! I have tried the Chantix too. It gave me horribly vivid nightmares but did cut me back to 10 cigs a day. I didn't make it long until the dreams put an end to that drug. I also tried the Zyban/Welbutrin as well. They didn't work at all. Cold turkey about killed me and all around me. I was a scary, mean person during those few days. Marlboro has me by the twins. My Grandfather gave me my first pack of Salem when I was 13 and now I am 44. His old honery azz is still kicking at 84 and still smokes his Salems. I was diagnosed with COPD about 7 years ago.

My next and hopefully last option is the E-cig Prine mentioned. I am to the point of consistant heartburn and loose my breath with a walk through the yard. Its bad when I can't keep up with my 8 year old daughter. I think its had alot of impact on my 14 year old daughter as she has Asthma. It not only hurts you and I but the ones we love too!!!

Good luck and I wish you well! I will be getting the E-cig before the end of the year and begin this trip down the same looooooong bumpy road again for the New Year!](*,)

Robert

Hey Robert,

Yup, the dreams can be interesting. Before taking this stuff I very rarely dreamed, now I dream every night and they are strange. That is the only side effect I have seen so far and I can handle them.

My decision to quit was selfish. I am quitting for me and me only. I know my wife sure likes the smokeless me but I did it for myself. Looking back on it now I am sure that is why I am still smokeless. If I was doing it for others that might be the extra pressure that made me fail.

Good luck on trying to quit again, never say die.

Jack

im going to be joining this escapade after the new year.....for the um-teenth time. kudos to you gents, wishing you the best of luck, because i DO know how hard it can be, and for me, it friggin is.....:banghead:

Good Luck and take it one minute at a time. I have given up on thinking about a year down the road, the next minute is the important one.

Jack

-
Back