R 64 Dart GT

-

Cals64GT

Reaction score
We've had our 64 Gt convertible almost 20 years & we're thinking about selling it. We've only put 830 miles on it in the last 7 or 8 years. It sits in a heated AC garage most of the time. It still needs a few things but it basically finished. I've been looking for the right locking strip for the windshield. I had a local shop put a new top on for me & he managed to wreck 2 of them, so it needs a new top. I bought another one but I haven't taken it any where to be put on. It needs a couple pieces of weatherstripping installed. I have the new pieces. When I first started putting it together I rebuilt the engine that was in the car & I came to find out later that it's a 318 & it should have been a 273. I'm not a purist so I left it in the car. I can't think of anything else it might need. I was going to put it on E-Bay next month. I was going to put a reserve price of $19,995.00 on it. I'll try to post a couple pictures. If any one is interested let me know. I have a lot more pictures. We're leaving to go to a wedding out of town for a few days so I won't be able to answer any questions until next week. Thanks Cal

Dart 001.jpg

Dart 012.jpg

Dart 032.jpg

Dart 038.jpg

64 Dart singles 006.jpg

WOW! Thanks looks really sharp!

A friend is re-doing a '64 GT convertible and he has the red & white interior too, the interior in those colors looks awesome!

Well I'm back from the wedding we went to. I was hoping that I might get someone to let me know what they thought about selling the Dart.
What do you think of the car?
What do you think of the price?
What do you think would be a fair price?
What do you thing about it being the wrong engine?
Do you think I could sell it for more if I put a 273 in it?
I have a complete 273 engine. Is it worth putting it in the car?
I would have to rebuild tghe 273 first.
Let me know what you think about these questions.

Thanks in advance for any info you can supply. Cals64GT

hey cal, the price you are thinking about putting on the car is probably a good price. it is really up to what the market is willing to pay. being that it is a 64 dodge dart you are looking at a small market for a car this nice. i believe most purists as you say are going to look for cars from the muscle car area. 64 darts are for someone who actually wants a 64. i myself would pass on it because i'm not into a 64 dart. it is very nice and i don't think it will make much of a difference to anyone if it has a 318 in it. i myself would say 19,995.00 is high but i'm not in the market for a 64.
good luck to you and may the buyers be knocking down your door.
big daddy don

Big daddy Don Thanks for the reply. I was trying to get some idea of what price to list the car for. I probably have more than what I was going to put for a reserve. I spent 7 years on it + who knows how much money. Thanks again Cal

Cal, I paid just over half of your planned reserve for my 64ragtop with a BUNCH of driver quality spare parts: trim pieces, switches, fan motors, etc, etc about three years ago. I think I paid too much, but I love the car. I've been watching the prices in several sources, and it looks like most of the '63 - '66 GT 'verts are going for 12-14 K Yours REALLY looks good, and i don't think the 318 will hurt the sale price. If that's the ORIGINAL (or a properly date coded) 273, you could include it with the disclaimer that it needs a rebuild. I think it's highly unusual to sell a car we've loved and reworked and get anything like the money we've put into it, not to mention the time, blood, sweat and tears and the occasional small piece of flesh

My ragtop was originally a /6, but was upgraded to disk brakes, 8 &1/4" rear axle, 14 " large bolt pattern wheels and a '74 318 with mild cam and 904 tranny, with the pushbuttons. I added 2 & 1/4" duals and flowmasters. I'm redoing the interior and will soon go bigger with the wheels and tires. It's a driver and a head turner and I like it a LOT.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put it on E-bay & see what happens. I've been watching the cars on E-bay & they seem to be going around $15-$17. Of course they don't look as good as mine (Do they ever look better when you want to sell yours). I really don't want to sell it but I've been out of work for almost 5 years with no disability insurance & the bills are adding up. Wish me luck. One way or another.

I certainly wish you all the best, and I'll be rooting for ya when I see the ebay auction. I do know about that long term job search stuff. Hope you find someone who really wants that pretty car!

Well I put it on E-bay tonight. Hope someone is interested even though I
really don't want to sell it. Thanks to everyone for all the info & encouragement.
I did drop the reserve a little. Cal

Two years ago I saw a '64 GT on Barrett Jackson go for $18,500, and it was a slant six, brown, and had a broken taillight lens. Oh, and it was a hardtop.

Correction: It was at Scottsdale, 2006, and was a non-GT convertible, and it sold for $18,000. That pisses me off that that turd got that much, and you're only getting up to around $8,000 on eBay. I see you relisted it, and got more on the earlier auction. I'd keep relisting it, and maybe try Craigslist, too. It's hard spending that much money on the internet sight unseen. Here are some pics of the car I'm talking about.
16019_Front_3-4.jpg

16019_Rear_3-4.jpg

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I sold my Dart. I ended up getting more than I wanted & it sold with the top torn.The guy didn't mind the few things that were wrong with it.I hated to let go of it but the bills were adding up & I had to get some paid. I'll have to look for another Dart 1 of these days. Cal

-
Back