R and P ? best tire size

-

project360

Reaction score
getting ready to invest in wheels and tires along with the ring and pinion set. Ive read tons of combos for taller tires but wanted a different opinion on a smaller tire diameter... car is street and strip

motor estimated to be mid 450 hp
904 full manual trans.
car estimated 3200 to 3500 lbs.

tire choices im looking at. MT Sportsman Pro
26x12.5x15
27x12.5x15

i was looking at a 4.11 ring set but that may be ittle steep for this tire diameter. would a 3.90 be better suited ??

thanks in advance.

I think the 27 would do good. It would be extremely close to my old Cuda's set up. A tad better at the line with grip and high end charge.
Theres a minor difference at Hwy. speed and the inch tire height.

If you are going to make a estimated 450HP with decent torque,forget about those tires.You need to find the tallest and widest tires you can fit in the wheel well.You would need at least a 275-60-15,295-60-15 or taller,and with the 4.10 gears,you are still going to fry the tires,never mind using a smaller tire like a 26 inch unit,they will finished in a month,I know,I have done that,a out of control car with small tires is dangerous.You want a tire that can hook up and go,not a tire that you can spin ever time you down shift or punch the throttle,MMT

Agreed. The 275/60/15 is about a 27 incher. But it's about 10 inchs of rubber on the floor. I have these on my car now. (BFG's)

thanks, the 27s i was looking at has 11.3 inches of rubber on the street, rear is getting a mini tub next week with leaf relo. to the frame rail, drive shaft length will remane the same, i considered moving the leaf center back 1 in. but a custom drive shaft was not something i want to deal with financialy..

SOOOO... the 27s and 4.11s or 3.90s ??? ( i dont believe i can go taller than 27 with out cutting the front of the rear fender which is not something i want to do)

-
Back