R/B 413 Super Stock Valiant Signet Project

-

Ray Gun

Reaction score
And so it begins! I've finally torn into Shoebox Mags' car. (That's the little ladies nick name btw.) Ok, enough of that crap, here's the meat and potato's:

1964 Plymouth Valiant Signet. California /6 car, 4-speed from the factory.

What's it's getting:

1962 413 Super Stock that I scored (yep, the casting number says so).
440-Source Stealth Heads
Vintage Mallory Super Dual with tach drive
Weiand single plane 4-bbl (street) / Weiand High-Ram Dual Quad (track)
HRCC Purpose Built Headers
A-833 4-Speed
Hurst Ram Rod
Quick Time Scatter Shield Bell
HRCC Built Ford 9", 31 Spline with an Eaton Limited Slip, Moser S/S Axles
MoPar Performance Super Stock springs, Strange Single Adjustable Shocks
Frame Connectors
HRCC 12 Pt. SFI/NHRA Cage
MoPar Super Stock Seats
Street Wheel/Tire combo: Steel front and rear with Plymouth Police caps, BFG 275/60-15, 205/60-15 front

Track Wheel/Tire Combo: American Racing 200S F&R, M&H 10.5x28 rear, M&H Front Runners.

Last week, me and my buddy Ryan yanked the Leaning Tower of Power and swapped it back to the guy we got the 413 from. Unknown to him was that the engine he sold me was a 1962 413 Max Wedge / Super Stock block with 68 440 heads on it. Woooohoooo!

Today, I mounted the Quick Time bell to the Wedge and bolted on the 833 and slipped it all in. I've got the motor plate ready to install, but am going to wait until tomorrow to cut it down and fit it.

The plan is to get it mounted with the motor plate, and then get the car up on my stands and start getting the frame connectors fab'd up and welded in. Then on to the Super Stock springs and relocation kit.

Sounds like a Early-A BEAST!Can you post some pics of your build?I,m also recreating a 66 Dart 410/904 for the track.:notworth:

Sounds like a Early-A BEAST!Can you post some pics of your build?I,m also recreating a 66 Dart 410/904 for the track.:notworth:

I can. I need to load them. I've got shots of the car before anything was removed, and shots from today loading the 413 Super Stock in.

Load up the pics. I have a big block early a project lurking in the background also.

Mike

I have a 400 with a 4.15 crank, H beam rods, 10.5 Ross pistons, Stealth heads, .528 purple shaft, and a Performer RPM intake. Just need the machine work and balancing.

I also have an 18 spline 4 speed and a Dana 60 for it.

I currently have a Lakewood scattershield and I am interested in how well the Quicktime one fits. Will you be posting any pics soon?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, I'm going to post some today. I'll start loading them. The Quick Time housing fits like it was meant to be there! And plenty of room (more than the Lakewood I'm guessing). I only use the Quicktime housings in the hot rods now for just that reason.

i cant wait to see the pictures. what do you have planned for exhaust? custom fenderwells is probably the only way to go. my dad has a 413 sitting in his garage. its no superstock motor, but i keep telling people if i break my slant six i would love to put that 413 in the wagon with a cross ram and pushbutton transmission. i cant wait to see this build come together.

Sounds like a great build in the makings.
I've got a 65 270 Dart sitting in the drive waiting for a transplant
Just purchased a 68 440 rebuilt for 500.00.So the fun will begin soon.
Once i can capture my son to o the pics uploads i'ii post up some photos....

Our Victim, unassuming and innocent:

DSCN2878-1.jpg

DSCN2877-1.jpg

DSCN2879-1.jpg

The Transplant. A 1962 413 Max Wedge/Super Stock bottom end. The 440 heads were added at some point in it's life. Now equipped with a Quick Time Scatter Shield and, for now, the original A-833.

DSCN2933-1.jpg

DSCN2935-1.jpg

DSCN2934-1.jpg

This isn't necessarily the manifold we'll use. I have it. And it's an option for the track maybe. It sure looks bad *** though.

DSCN2941-1.jpg

If you look at the column to head clearance, it's tight. Not so tight I couldn't build headers to fit. And with a motor plate the motor won't move really at all. But I'm still going to shorten the column housing. More room that you can get is never something to overlook.

I want to get all the stuff in that area in place (starter, clutch linkage, master cylinder) and then see where I can go with headers before I make the decision to cut the inner fender. Everyone says that headers can't be done without cutting, but that sort of statement usually drives me to find a way. :D

I'm going to get the motor plate in tonight (now that it's after hours). I also plan on removing the stock motor mount bosses from the block, further freeing up room for 1 7/8" primaries. I also need to find an alternator mount, as the stock one didn't come with the motor, and I'm not looking to fab up something I can just purchase. It'll still be on the street, so a small, race only alternator isn't really an option in my book.

Nice project!I,m putting a 408 in my 66 Dart for the track and I,m using Hedman Husler headers #55110-66,these are 1 7/8 primary/fenderwells.Good luck with the build.:-D

But I'm still going to shorten the column housing. More room that you can get is never something to overlook.

I want to get all the stuff in that area in place (starter, clutch linkage, master cylinder) and then see where I can go with headers before I make the decision to cut the inner fender. Everyone says that headers can't be done without cutting, but that sort of statement usually drives me to find a way. :D

Would a rack and pinion setup be feasible?......they don't seem too expensive. I was thinking about it for my '68 Dart, just mount it to the K-member with some large studs, so I could run a 440 with some beautiful headers.

I thought about that. A Dakota rear steer rack would probably work. But the steep angle from the column to the rack would probably necessitate at least one double universal. It would free up a ton of room for headers though.

The main problem with the under chassisheaders is minimal space between the frame and torsion bars.I had Spitfire headers and had welded 2 1/2 inch pipe to flow down through this space.Good luck.

im loving this build. if you end up making a set of headers. you might as well make two. im sure i will need a set hehe. keep the pictures coming!

im loving this build. if you end up making a set of headers. you might as well make two. im sure i will need a set hehe. keep the pictures coming!

I could do that. As long as it's the same set up, they should fit just fine.

When you make big block/early a headers that don't require cutting up the car you will sell several sets. Seems like header choices for the early a are the big stumbling block (pun intended lol) to B or RB installs. Love the car!

When you make big block/early a headers that don't require cutting up the car you will sell several sets. Seems like header choices for the early a are the big stumbling block (pun intended lol) to B or RB installs. Love the car!

I've noticed just about everything for an early A Body is hard to come by. That's ok, that's what we specialize in (hard to come by or "you can't do that").

I'm not really set up to build multiples of the same header (except I could build them on the same car). I might be up to doing a few pair. Then again, I've not go the starter and clutch linkage in yet. Although we're accustom to doing the almost impossible, or the "10lbs of stuff in a 2lb can" type of thing, without actually building them yet I don't want to say for sure it's possible. But I think it's probable. Otherwise I'm just setting myself up to look like a jerk if I'm not able to build them. :D

-
Back