R3 block?

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How do you identify an R3 block? They are 340 blocks with 59 degree lifters?

Can you all shed some light on it for me?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20210705-211810_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-211801_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-211756_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-211751_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-211740_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-211731_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-211722_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-211709_Facebook.jpg

L/H on front edge of number 1 just below top deck

should be 2 sets of numbers normally the top is the model of the block lower set serial number laser etched not cast like the larger numbers

should be 2 sets of numbers normally the top is the model of the block lower set serial number laser etched not cast like the larger numbers

The guy said the whole front was machined smooth and he doesn't see any other markings besides the ones in the pictures.

From the valley it looks like just a stock 340 block to me.

Yes it is machined but should have these numbers

numbers.jpg

If the front is machined smooth see if it has a raised marking in the bell housing area. Valley does no look like an R3. If a true 4 bolt main web it could be an X-block, 340 TA block or and earlier R block or other early aftermarket block. You will see and X in the housing area if an X block.
Machined smooth or not ask for front shots, rear shots and both sides so you can see the casting numbers visibly. Also better shots of the main bearing web area.

Last edited:
If the front is machined smooth see if it has a raised marking in the bell housing area. Valley does no look like an R3. If a true 4 bolt main web it could be an X-block or and earlier R block. You will see and X in the housing area if an X block.
Machined smooth or not ask for front shots, rear shots and both sides so you can see the casting numbers visibly. Also better shots of the main bearing web area.

Stupid question... housing area?

Back of the engine where the transmission bolts to. Look around in that area that gets covered by the transmission. Note the X

like this shot

1F059DA9-59B1-45C1-AC96-F5FF1D0B6613.jpeg

Hard to tell by the look of the last cam bearing size could be a standard cam journal

If it did have an R on the front it would be where the pipe has been welded on the front
The pipe may be for front oiling

block2.jpg

Anyone notice the oil filter area… or lack there off?

Anyone notice the oil filter area… or lack there off?

it appears that everything on the side has been milled off, there are no bosses around the freeze plugs or motor mount bosses.

I don’t think it’s a R or X block, it doesn’t have the heavy bosses for the lifter bores, the front of the block isn’t filled in the timing chain area (see the photo in post #13) and the pan rails don’t appear to be filled. The main webs do appear to be filled though. Unless it was very, very cheap I’d be afraid of it.

Last edited:
What is on the side wall drivers side It should have numbers or make cast into the side eg: 340 ,MOPAR take a pic of the whole drivers side it may have a reveal itself .

Looks like a regular 340 block somebody has drilled for 4 bolt Mains

It looks more like an x block. Has it been welded on the front side? The first pic shows an area that looks like a welding repair. Do the outside main bolts break through the casting ? Or does it have a thick bulk head area ?

Definitely doesn't look like a R3, I'd say its nothing more than a conversation peice. No motor mount lugs, no oil filter provisions, questionable machine work.....I MIGHT give a couple hundred for it if it was local, otherwise I wouldn't touch it.

-
Back