race app: use PCV yeah or nay?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
circle track 360 2bbl 9-1 CR 2bbl rochester 6K rev limiter. should I use the regular setup, a std pcv in one valve cover & a breather on the other? thank you for your time. RR

I would use a breather as well. It gives blowby an escape route, which increases with rpm. If there is no escape route, it will make it's own, such as blow a v/cover gasket or push the dip stick out.

I would run a standard parts store PCV valve along with a crankcase scavenging system with hoses from the valve cover breathers to the headers.

is that the high dollar dual flow adjustable one?

Can you run a pan-evac system? If so, run the PCV valve in the valve cover and one evac to each valve cover with no breathers.

The two will create a negative pressure in the crankcase. If that’s legal that’s the best thing to do.

Some tracks don’t allow evacs like that.

Usually on race only stuff I keep to the KISS rule. Keep it simple stupid. Run two breathers and don’t ever think about it again. Street car, I’m a huge advocate of a proper functioning PCV.
2BBA1619-7E5A-472D-B985-0E5CB5C13D37.png

no pan evac allowed

Yeah, I’m not surprised. When I was doing some circle track stuff I went to way too many “rules” meetings because the cast iron head rule was ignorant. Of course, I never got that rule changed because the mind set of those hillbilly’s just didn’t get that it was cheaper to let everyone run aluminum than it was to keep dealing with decades old cast iron junk. They also didn’t like the fact that I refused to wear white pants in the pits and had Tee shorts made up that said “Skunk Holler Raceway: where going slow is the show”.

When I asked why we couldn’t use evacs the dude said we don’t run drag race parts on our circle track engines!

I left and never went back there again. It’s still *** backwards out there to this day.

On back to back pulls a PCV valve was worth 3 hp on a 600+ hp small block. PCV valve on one side and a breather on the other.

they say choke must be removed & the out of state pro that built up a rochester for me says that it is actually beneficial cuz it straightens out the mixture (iirc)

-
Back