Race Car Renovation

-
Looking GREAT im doing about the same thing to my dart as you are doing to your car, I had my steering shaft bolted like yours and it was wobbly, i ordered the steering shaft support from Speedway Motors and welded it to the dash bar and now it is much sturdier, it cost about 10$ for the support and by your photos you could weld it to your dash bar.

I have the shaft supported by the aluminum pipe with bushings in each end plus a flat bearing on the floor that I got from Speedway Motors along with the shaft and quick release hub. I will keep the shaft support in mind.
Thanks for all the compliments on the car. It has taken LOTS of hours to get it where it is today.

The dash and the top rear door panels are at the body shop getting painted the same color as the home made gauge panel. I have the aluminum interior panels ready to be installed as soon as the body work on the tops of the doors allows. If you remember there was nothing inside the doors. My buddy and I grafted in the doors with parts from a scrap set. Another good friend bead rolled the aluminum panels for me. It's almost (well I suppose it will never be done) but the end is in sight.

May I make a suggestion?
The strut setup for the deck lid....flip the struts around 180 degrees.
The oil inside lubes, and keeps the seals from drying. If you flip it over the seals stay bathed in fluid. (Camper shell and tonneau cover manufacturers learned the hard way....)
Excellent progress. Makes me want to head out to the garage!

Make sure you can mount the coil in that position.

I'm not sure about required orientation, but, thought I'd bring it up.

I like your car.
Will the ignition set-up be covered by the dash? It'll be hard to work on if it is.
Keep us up to date.

May I make a suggestion?
The strut setup for the deck lid....flip the struts around 180 degrees.
The oil inside lubes, and keeps the seals from drying. If you flip it over the seals stay bathed in fluid. (Camper shell and tonneau cover manufacturers learned the hard way....)
Excellent progress. Makes me want to head out to the garage!

Thanks for the tip on the struts. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Make sure you can mount the coil in that position.

I'm not sure about required orientation, but, thought I'd bring it up.

Not sure it would be a problem straight up and down.

I like your car.
Will the ignition set-up be covered by the dash? It'll be hard to work on if it is.
Keep us up to date.

Hopefully I won't have to many problems with it and yes it will be partially covered by the dash. But I did mount it on a removable panel.

Actually it is best for the coil to be mounted straight up. It keeps all of the coils windings submerged in oil. Yes I know the factory did otherwise and most never had a problem. If you have a coil that was filled just less than it should be eventually the coil portion that is not covered by the oil, is then not cooled by the oil. I even had the coil on my house heat pump fail due to that, In that industries it seems to happen more then on our cars. It was mounted side ways like how the factory did on our manifolds.

Well it's just about ready. Still needs a windshield and safety belts.

P1310065.jpg

P1310066.jpg

P1310067.jpg

P1310069.jpg

P1310071.jpg

Got the windshield installed today. Seat belts will here Friday.

I love it ,,great craftsmanship ....and not spending a fortune ,,,that to me is Hot rodding .....I'm impressed !!!!!!

Here are a few more pictures. I'll post a sound clip and a time slip later on.
My friend Gary is going to buff it out for me.

P2200601.jpg

P2200602.jpg

P2200603.jpg

P2200604.jpg

P2200605.jpg

Jeff that looks fantastic-- when/where is the maiden run?? If I can i would like to watch ,Lawrence

Looks mean as hell Jeff. Fantastic job, and one of the fastest renovations on the site. Can't wait to see the runs after you get it dialed in.

George

Jeff that looks fantastic-- when/where is the maiden run?? If I can i would like to watch ,Lawrence

SCRA Great Bend, KS March 13th chassis cetification and test and tune.

-
Back