Race shocks on the street.

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
I ordered a set of AFCO leaf springs for the duster, and will go with either QA-1 or Calvert adjustable rear shocks. But not sure if i want to run the Calvert 90/10 race shock on the street or buy the QA-1 single adjustable for the fronts. Huge price difference on the fronts, About $100.00 per shock.

Anybody running any kin of 90/10 on the street?

I'm currently running the Calvert 90/10's on my street/strip car. They work fine on the street...but I drive my Cuda relatively slow on the street, cruzing, and I do NOT whip in and out of traffic like an idiot. If the latter is more your driving style, then you probably would not like them on the street (due to less control).

Thanks for the reply. Was more concerned about how the car will react when you hit a bump at hwy speed

I am putting Mopar Performance rear springs with QA adjustables on the back and am considering Ranchos for the front because of adjustablity. You would have to figure out what Rancho will fit your car by the charts you can download from the Rancho site. You could buy Calvert shocks but they are the same as Rancho and are more money. JMO

I've done 90/10's on stock T-bar and coil suspensions and as said above, the're doable in normal "restrained" driving. Where you'll go downhill fast is when you start combining other racier componant's like, thin T-bars/coils, no sway bar and loose struts. That's a little too racy for the street :D.

Cool, never used to be. I am pretty sure that you could get Rancho cheaper at CTC if you watch for sales that happen quite often.

Spend the money once,get the QA-1 12-way adjustable.You can adjust for your driving needs...Street or Strip.:D

Probably correct. I have QA1 shocks for the back of my Dart and would love to have QA1 shocks for the front as well. Something else to add to the wish list.

I have Caltrac 10/90 on front and love them.. rancho 9 ways rear shocks with caltrac set up. love it !

front shocks handle beautiful on the street............. imo.
but then ... my dart is a 11 sec street car .
the 65dart gt convertible goes up FOR SALE in 2 months 3-1-13 .. as soon as winter weather breaks here in wisconsin. NO TRADES ! need cash.
john

Attachments

• raggie 4-16-08 driveway caltrac view.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 467
I have calvert 90/10 on the front of mine. Couple things.

I didn't really pick up a lot of 60', if any, from these over stock shocks. Mine's basically a high 11 second 1.5x 60' car with caltracs and their adjustables on the back. Your needs/experience may vary. The best 60' in the car (by .002) was with stock shocks. Maybe its more consistent, but that's hair-splitting.

They are fine on the street, except when the pavement undulates (gentle but rapid up/down up/down slopes) or washboards. Then the front end gets pretty floaty. If you stay cool its fine, but if you were in that situation and needed to panic stop it could be really bad.

If you do a lot of street driving, I'd just leave some stock replacements on it.

I street drove the HELL outta my calvert 90/10's...they are definitely a loose shock, but you will be FINE...Unless you drive the car like its a lambo around corners, you won't even notice they are there until you stab the throttle hard and the front end really comes up (LOVE IT!). I drive my car everywhere, even in the rain on DOT slicks, and I can tell you that the shocks are the least of your worries....Guys on most forums make it look like 90/10's on the street are the ticket to getting yourself killed, but that couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion

Also, if you are going to spend the money on GOOD adjustable shocks, stay FAR away from the QA-1 crap...Have had way too many friends local to me buy their products, have them turn to junk almost outright, and then have QA-1 refuse to do anything about it (my one friend hadnt even driven his car when the shocks started leaking after 2 weeks of being on the car and they said it was his fault and would do nothing)...I rarely, if ever, see any QA-1 stuff on any car that is raced hard or street driven around here

I would look at a set of strange, afco, or if you really have the money, santhuff shocks... Thats just my .02 cents, good luck!

Thank you for the replies everyone, i appreciate it. I am looking to have a low 12 sec car on the street.

Funny I,ve been running the QA-1 12 way adj for 3 yrs,no problems.My car leaves hard,running mid high 10,s with almost 500 passes.Too each his own I guess.:D

Funny I,ve been running the QA-1 12 way adj for 3 yrs,no problems.My car leaves hard,running mid high 10,s with almost 500 passes.Too each his own I guess.:D

Good for you! Like I said, I have more than one friend who have had them fail from very little or no use, so its not like I am telling the O.P. to avoid them for no reason...hope yours don't give you any problems in the future...to each his own:toothy7:

I,m just stating that my QA-1,s have never failed.If they had failed right off the bad,they would be returned for a refund.Guess it depends where you buy from?

I,m just stating that my QA-1,s have never failed.If they had failed right off the bad,they would be returned for a refund.Guess it depends where you buy from?

Thats cool, like I said thats good for you that they are working how they should...Vendors could possibly make a difference, but when a vendor goes to the company for another product and the company should be making it right and they don't, that is poor customer service and product support in my opinion...As I said hope you have no problems in the future

Mancini has the QA1 Stocker Star R for $129.00 in the clearence section. I thinking thats a fair price. Summet wants $159.00.

I wish i could still buy a set of old school oil filled shocks for the front, that would solve the problem. I am leaning towards the Koni, for the front and the Calverts for the rear.

I wish i could still buy a set of old school oil filled shocks for the front

I used to use Gabriel's on the front more years ago then i'd like to remember.......lol. I think Lakewood still sells a similar 70/30 & 90/10?

i am running the qa1 12 way single adjustable on the rear of my car and the qa1 double adjust ables on the front. i have yet to drive the car but just playing with them in the garage i think they are a high quality unit. i like the idea that i can drive the car to the track or on the street in a certain setting and then just kneel down and click the knobs and have a 100% completely different set up.

-
Back