Racecar alignment

-

Demonracer

71 Demon 00 Ram 16 Chrysler 300S 05 Caravan
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the Demon to the front end shop next week. Some time back, I saw a thread about front end alignment for racecars vs street cars. Can someone point me to the thread, or PM me the stats for racecars?

Thanks,

Bill S.

This?

Attachments

• alignment-specifications.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 157
..................The old DC and MPP book recommend to jack the car up 1 inch on the front while doing the alignment as to simulate the car at speed..........kim........

X2 on the Mopar suspension book. If you look in there it also tells you how to adjust everything so that the camber sweep is consistent through the suspension travel. A lot of people don't realize it, but getting the front end absolutely perfect will speed the car up. Having the camber jacked all to crap because the front end is either off the ground, or lifted high actually slows the car down because it is dragging the front tires down the track.

when we were running and tuning the Landy Dart clone i stood at the big end. I just watched the distance between the tire and the wheel lip (about 3 or 4" as i remember) and had it aligned at that height, ride height the wheel lip is even or lower than the top of the tire.

we ran the caltracs shocks that are supposed to drop but that didn't seem to be the case for us...

Attachments

• wheelsup.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 127
That car looks good. See how the tires have a minimal camber change? A lot of times you see cars with serious negative camber with the front end in the air. Aligning it jacked up helps, but you also have to follow what the MP suspension book says. It shows you how and where to heat and bend the spindle ends, how to adjust the steering box, how to adjust the idler arm all of that to get the geometry correct on the linkage. Remember, not only does the linkage affect toe, the toe also affects camber. So, having the linkage perfect as described in the book will make the car faster yet.

People often overlook the Mopar suspension book. My car is set up directly from this. Probably one of the reasons I can pull great 60' times on such crappy tires (1.6, 60' on E70-14s)

That car looks good. See how the tires have a minimal camber change? A lot of times you see cars with serious negative camber with the front end in the air. Aligning it jacked up helps, but you also have to follow what the MP suspension book says. It shows you how and where to heat and bend the spindle ends, how to adjust the steering box, how to adjust the idler arm all of that to get the geometry correct on the linkage. Remember, not only does the linkage affect toe, the toe also affects camber. So, having the linkage perfect as described in the book will make the car faster yet.

when i rebuild the front end on the 68 im going to do all that. my junk is so wore out i just aligned it myself when i worked at firestone.

P.S. you see the new vid of the dart?

I'm taking the Demon to the front end shop next week. Some time back, I saw a thread about front end alignment for racecars vs street cars. Can someone point me to the thread, or PM me the stats for racecars?

Thanks,

Bill S.

Looking at your avatar, are you asking about a Drag Racing Alignment specs ??

There's more than one type of racing.

when i rebuild the front end on the 68 im going to do all that. my junk is so wore out i just aligned it myself when i worked at firestone.

P.S. you see the new vid of the dart?

No I have not. I need to take a minute to look at it. It came in with a bunch of other spam ands got sent to the junk box. But I pulled it back out.

-
Back