Racing last weekend

-

justinp61

Reaction score
A couple months some guys put together a 16 car heads up race for fast street cars, I know opinions differ on what is a "fast" street car, LOL. The race was last Friday night 10/21. Any way this group was to be in the 6.20-6.50 range. I was selected to be one of the 16, the only Mopar and oldest car in the field, many supercharged Mustangs. It was run off the trailer, no test hits, instant green, no time slips, although they did screw up and hand them out for the first round.

I put the radials back on the Dart because the track manager told me the week before that the track would have bracket prep as they ran a bracket program in conjunction with the shootout. I used my notes from a 6.33 pass to set the shocks. In the first round I drew a young guy in a mid 90's Vette, don't know what it had in it, but it sounded good. I never saw him after the hit, it didn't feel like my car left hard, but I did get the win. I was surprised to get a ticket, it ran 6.33 @ almost 109 with only a 1.40 60'.

The second round I drew a Monte Carlo with a 5.3 and turbo, I hit the tree well and the car felt great. A friend of mine said it picked the front end up 15-16" and carried it out. I never saw the Monte Carlo anywhere near me. I'd guess that it ran low 6.20's and the 60' was in the low 1.30's.

In the semi's there were three supercharged Mustangs and me. I drew the left lane, the right lane I'd had the two prior passes was the best. I made a small shock adjustment, which was a mistake. But in the end it wouldn't have mattered as it was well past my bedtime and I was apparently taking a nap at the hit. He got out and I was pulling on him until he hit high gear and started driving away. Honestly, I don't think I could've beat him even if I had a good light. He redlit in the finals, first time I've ever seen anyone redlight on an instant green tree.

I had a ball, even though I brought a knife to a gun fight. I think some of these young guys have a little respect for n/a cars now. They are going to try more races like this next year, hopefully they can find enough cars to fill a n/a class.

Last edited:
A couple months some guys put together a 16 car heads up race for fast street cars, I know opinions differ on what is a "fast" street car, LOL. The race was last Friday night 10/21. Any way this group was to be in the 6.20-6.50 range. I was selected to be one of the 16, the only Mopar and oldest car in the field, many supercharged Mustangs. It was run off the trailer, no test hits, instant green, no time slips, although they did screw up and hand them out for the first round.

I put the radials back on the Dart because the track manager told me the week before that the track would have bracket prep as they ran a bracket program in conjunction with the shootout. I used my notes from a 6.33 pass to set the shocks. In the first round I drew a young guy in a mid 90's Vette, don't know what it had in it, but it sounded good. I never saw him after the hit, it didn't feel like my car left hard, but I did get the win. I was surprised to get a ticket, it ran 6.33 @ almost 109 with only a 1.40 60'.

The second round I drew a Monte Carlo with a 5.3 and turbo, I hit the tree well and the car felt great. A friend of mine said it picked the front end up 15-16" and carried it out. I never saw the Monte Carlo anywhere near me. I'd guess that it ran low 6.20's and the 60' was in the low 1.30's.

In the semi's there were three supercharged Mustangs and me. I drew the left lane, the right lane I'd had the two prior passes was the best. I made a small shock adjustment, which was a mistake. But in the end it wouldn't have mattered as it was well past my bedtime and I was apparently taking a nap at the hit. He got out and I was pulling on him until he hit high gear and started driving away. Honestly, I don't think I could've beat him even if I had a good light. He redlit in the finals, first time I've ever seen anyone redlight on an instant green tree.

I had a ball, even though I brought a knife to a gun fight. I think some of these young guys have a little respect for n/a cars now. They are going to try more races like this next year, hopefully they can find enough cars to fill a n/a class.
Congratulations and way to represent

I started reading this last night and my sister called and I forgot to get back to it. Congratulations and it sounds like fun. It’s a shame about the power adders and NA classes being combined but who knows what the future may bring. If it’s not supported it will go away.

-
Back