-

drockduster

Reaction score
IMG_3278.JPG
IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3305.JPG
IMG_3310.JPG
IMG_3309.JPG
Just finished up my rack and pinion conversion using a Flaming river early pinto rack

Okay, now what will keep the K member from twisting under a load? The thick center section is what keeps the whole thing from bending under stress. The small tube stock you put in is nowhere near as robust.
Why do people think that a steering rack is worth a reduction in strength and durability? Yes, I agree that a rack and pinion setup has better feel and precision but....
I can appreciate a mans desire to make improvements where a deficiency exists but why take steps backward while doing it?

What about motor mounts? The weight of any engine is going to make that want to sag which will want to pull the frame rails together...

think I`d look real hard about an x brace , bowed , underneath the whole thing, and the x welded together where it crosses. or something!

It's a race car I'm not to worried about twist when it will have a full roll cage including strut bars that tie the front into it and motor plates. I did this for oil pan clearence for so I can have plenty of oil in a rear sump pan and have the car pretty low

What spindles and steering arms are you tying that into? Nothing stock I assume based on the location...

Looks like what a lot of drag racers did in the 70's .

the downside being
reverse ackerman when using the factor steeming arims pointing forward....but they made very limited turns

extreme bumpsteer.....but the Pro Stock guys limited suspension travel to nothing. Joe Pappas explained to me that they ran the Mopar Missile on the stops.......no suspension travel except the deflection of the rubber stops.

Good luck, I have some experience with rack and pinion installs...PM or call me if you want
Denny

Looks like what a lot of drag racers did in the 70's .

the downside being
reverse ackerman when using the factor steeming arims pointing forward....but they made very limited turns

extreme bumpsteer.....but the Pro Stock guys limited suspension travel to nothing. Joe Pappas explained to me that they ran the Mopar Missile on the stops.......no suspension travel except the deflection of the rubber stops.

Good luck, I have some experience with rack and pinion installs...PM or call me if you want
Denny
we tried running on the front rubber stops in the old hemi car after reading about them doing that, back in the day. 'It didn`t work worth a sh-- !!

I notice the Hemi Super Stockers ran with suspension travel....but some Pro Stock (pre strut) cars in the mid 70's were raced similar to the Missile.

Joe Pappas said they found the more the front suspension traveled...the slower they went.

-
Back