rack with the qa1 member

-
Not really. The QA1 is set up to use the stock steering box and has all the same steering geometry as the stock K. So, it's not well suited for a steering rack, just like stock.

sucks maybe I can still lose the torsion bars
really looking for the header room

To run what? There are headers out there for small and big block engines that fit decently well. TTI even makes headers for Gen 3 hemi's that work with torsion bars. Yes they're expensive, but cheap headers have more issues than just torsion bar and steering linkage clearance. And compared to a coil-over conversion they're cheap.

Header are pretty much always a PITA if you install them with the engine already in the car. Doesn't really matter what year, make or model. Sure some are definitely worse than others, but unless you've got an old truck with a giant engine bay they're a PITA. And I don't really see what the big deal is. Yes, it's a PITA, but it takes an afternoon and you do it once. I installed the headers on my Challenger over 60k miles ago. I've done nothing since then that required removing them. The headers on my Duster have been in the way more recently when I had to deal with a leak on my remote oil filter take off plate, but any header would have been in the way there, the torsion bars were of little consequence. And if you install the engine from the bottom on the K member you can usually just install them bolted right onto the engine.

I agree with you the cost really is not worth the reward
just makes it easy to pull and work on
I have had this thing for roughly 20ish years
and have just grown tired of dealing with them not that will make me do the swap
the car is down right now for a full makeover
408 hoping for 560 plus hp, mini tubs ,replaced the inner fenders and drivers frame rail both complete rear quarters and I'm just kicking around and few ideas

Hello, I'm not in town right now to give full detales, but I bought one years ago with rack from Cap Auto Products before QA1 bought them. Jed.

not sure what your budget is, but you might look into Gerst or Hemidenny, both make tubed k frames with racks.

I have the Gerst, I love it. worth every penny thus far. Others have said the same thing about the Hemidenny.

sucks maybe I can still lose the torsion bars
really looking for the header room

If you only want to remove the torsion bars HDK (that's me) have several options.....one being a chromoly tubular control arm, bolt on rear support bracket, re-enforced upper shock mount with bolt on chromoly support tubes that mount thru the frame rails. The only downside I see is because it utilizes the factory LCA pivot /attaching points, we are limited to a shorter coil over shock/spring combo (compared to what HDK uses in the complete rack / coil over conversion)

The first set HDK made was for a guy with a Qa1 K member.

Just to give you an idea....if you need everything the basic package, uppers, and shocks /springs....about $1400-$1500 depending on options

Pm me if you want more details .....more than happy to discuss your needs by phone, text or e-mail.

Denny
HDK
www.moparsuspension.com

Last edited:
-
Back