rad and fan!

-

farmer260

73 Dart Sport
Reaction score
alright! I am putting a built 360 in my 73 dart sport and i would like to upgrade the cooling system! I would like to put a bigger and or better rad in! is there a stock rad from another vehicle i could use? I heard a rad from a half ton truck of some kind would work! Also im am planning on going with an electric fan! what size should i look at and should it be a pull or push fan? Thanks for the help everyone!

The fan with the biggest CFM you can squezzzeeee in there with the least amount of amp draw is a plus. You want it to pull.
Freinds of mine seem to like radiator.com I think they used. Not sure.

(Best hang on for the been there done that new rad! I get mine re-cored thicker and use a MP viscous unit without worry and complaint.)

what ever you do may I suggest if you are going to install an electric fan try not to use the plastic pull thru push pins that come with the fan. Instead make a frame that mounts the fan to the top and bottom rails of the rad. The problem with the pull thru clips is that the fan will vibrate and eventually rip your fins and tubes apart. Also use a shroud with your set up. If you can't make the stock one fit you can buy aftermarket aluminium ones from Jegs or other places like that.

my 2 cents!

Im using a 97 jeep grand cherokee 5.2-5.9 v8 radiator, but im running a 5.7 hemi. I chose this radiator because i got it new on ebay cheaper then a custom radiator, the inlets and out lets match the hemi's, and if it ever went out i could easily replace it at an autoparts store. I have a 64 dart and welded in a 66 radiator support to give me more room for a opening (the 64s was too small). I also trimmed the flat flange area by the frame only a touch so that the 97 radiator would fit nicely. Then I made some mounting brackets and welded then into place to support the radiator vertically. I then drilled holes in the lower radiator support so that the two plastic prongs on the bottom of the radiator would sit down in the lower radiator support. I still have to weld the lower support on, but its all coming together nicely. Im not sure if the 360s inlet and out lets on the pump will match up to the 97 jeep grand cherokee radiator, but if your interested in what i did, check out the thread in the restoration area on this site, its under "64 dodge dart 5.7 hemi install". I will be using an electric fan, but i may use the 97 cherokee shroud aswell and just have the electric fan inside the area where the motors fan would have turned.
Even if you cant use the 97 jeep radiator there might be other radiators you could do the same thing with. Just make sure you take lost of measurements first. Hope this helps.

Ha ha ha, a HOT RODDER at Heart here! Good man!

Darn right! if it works and looks good why not use it!!! plus the f150 rads are easier to find around here for some reason!

so i guess i would just be better off buying an engine oil cooler rather than use the trans cooler built into the rad?

ya i got looking at engine oil coolers and i think that sounds right! I might try to find a rad out of a std trans vehicle so i dont waste space with a trans cooler that im not going to use!

Do you have an automatic tranny or manual.

If auto, run a seprate cooler plumbed after the OE cooler.

Best way to treat oil, for engine, trans or even power streering, is to cool it as much as possible. That'll not only keep it in good shape and improve everything about it and for longer as well, but it will also help the component that useing that oil.

I put a new rad in my 72 Dart. It was from Wizard Cooling in NY state. it was truly a bolt in piece. NO, NONE, ZERO, NATTA, mods were made. It is a true piece of art. All aluminum hand/custom made for whatever. They do make a TRUE bolt-in part. And it not only looks great, it works great!!!!

Thanks but WOW is that expensive. Must be where Mancini Racing is getting their radiators.

I have a 73 340 with a .508 cam, headers AND A/C and have no problem with the factory system either normal driving or sitting in Brice Rd. traffic with the A/C on.
Fan shrouds are your best friend as 95% of the air that the fan moves has to come thru the radiator!!

I took my original 22" 2 core rad to get rebuilt with a 3 core using 3/8' tubing. It holds 16 liters (including the block of corse) of coolant and can cool a Rig. Cost me $380. But its the original rad and its better then ever.

If you go to rockauto.com and look up 1970 340 dart radiator here is what you get

http://info.rockauto.com/GoDan/Detail2.html?www.pliii.com/productcatalog/catalog.asp?partnum=433526

Then take the part number 433526 to you local autoparts store and see if they can order a radiator for a 70 340 dart with the above part number. Or just order it from Rockauto and pay $151 plus shipping.

Also note that I gave you the number for a 1970 340 dart, not a 73 dart sport 340. The reason is sometime after 72 the heavy duty cooling cars (340's, A/C cars, etc) when to a wider rad with a different front radiator support (actually just the sides are different and the opening is bigger). So if you ordered a 340 rad for your year of car it would likely be too wide. Again I am not sure when they went to a wider rad on H/D cooling cars, but it could have been 73. any how thats my 2 cents

I took my original 22" 2 core rad to get rebuilt with a 3 core using 3/8' tubing. It holds 16 liters (including the block of corse) of coolant and can cool a Rig. Cost me $380. But its the original rad and its better then ever.

I agree. In my 65 Barracuda the PO installed an aluminum cross-flow plus the install was something to behold! Sold the radiator and got a correct 65 V8 radiator off ebay for cheap and had it recored to a 3 core. Looks factory cause it now fits perfectly and it's the original correct part number radiator. With a correct shroud I picked up, this set-up should have no problems cooling the 273/235 motor I'm building for it. I've got less than $400 in the radiator and shroud.

My Home made electrique twin fan.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I used the 3.8 Taurus two speed fan and it moves more air than anything I've seen. They do pull a lot of amps but man do they move the air. I bought an electronic variable speed controller that minimizes amp draw and runs the fan at the speed required. Also runs it after engine shutdown until the radiator cools. Look for a Taurus fan while looking for a radiator. Be sure to use good quality relays to run it. Check out these websites and do a search to learn about the Taurus fans and installation.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/hayden-imperial-vs-taurus-e-fans-my-review-59490/
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php

I almost hated to put a F*rd part on my Mopar but it is originally a Siemans so I caved in. Really glad I did!

Took my Radiator to ACE radiator repair in Sheridan,Wy (it had been frozen)and he could rebuild mine for $160. or Get me a new Aluminum Rad/w shroud for $359. Electric fans for $216. Didn't sound terrible......... Still thinking but need $$$$ first.

-
Back