RAD

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Trying to get everything lined up before the project starts. 1965 dart w/ 390 HP 318 w/auto. Need a replacement radiator. At this point, not sure if I'll be using the belt driven fan or electric. Aftermarket trans cooler too. Thanks

Aluminum replacement is less expensive than re-coring your brass tanks. A lot of poor quality Chinese aluminum replacements out there so don't buy based just on price.

Early Mustang Aluminum retrofit rads fit but the bottom spud could be on the wrong side. Top right, bottom left with side tanks. Just drill 2 holes in the side mount. You could use your early pump with the driver side exit and a weird crossing top hose.

I have had my OER aluminum Rad (made in USA) for a couple of years now and really like it... Cools my 65 Barracuda 273 Commando here in Phoenix Arizona just fine !!!
OER is also a Barrel top Rad... Same shape as the OEM top tank that came in our early A-Body !!! I also run the Milodon #16251 (iron 1964-69) High Volume, increased Performance water pump!!!
20170606_125735.jpg

I bought a Champion Radiator off ebay for my '64 /6 and it went in with no issues at all. I don't drive my Dart a whole lot, but the radiator cools just fine and all the welds looked good to me.

Cold Case is a sponsor here. I've seen their stuff and it's nice.

No more than 2 cores and those cores should be at least 1 inch and 1.25 is better and 1.50 is pooping I talk cotton.

Whatever you do, don't buy into the nonsense that 3 or 4 cores is better than 2. It's not.

Use a QUALITY water pump and a QUALITY thermostat (the only quality thermostat I can find is from Stewart Components) and a correctly sized 2 core radiator and you'll never have an issue with cooling. Even in the Sahara.

And dont forget to make the water pump turn faster than the crank.

Whatever you choose, you just have to be very careful about clearance issues if you go with electric fan option. Measure everything up before deciding which way to go.

I have had my OER aluminum Rad (made in USA) …. Same shape as the OEM top tank that came in our early A-Body !!!

I like that top tank a lot. I also think the OER is good quality but I think if you dig deeper on that unit, you'll find that both the tanks and core are made overseas. I'm pretty sure they just put the tanks on the core here in the USA. Anyway, it is still a nice unit. Also, it is dual 1" core which is the standard for good capacity. You can only improve on that by going to dual 1 1/4" for severe duty applications. Do you remember how much you paid for it?

I like that top tank a lot. I also think the OER is good quality but I think if you dig deeper on that unit, you'll find that both the tanks and core are made overseas. I'm pretty sure they just put the tanks on the core here in the USA. Anyway, it is still a nice unit. Also, it is dual 1" core which is the standard for good capacity. You can only improve on that by going to dual 1 1/4" for severe duty applications. Do you remember how much you paid for it?
Total cost including shipping was $364.89 Delivered !!! Bought it in May of 2017. Well it says "Made in USA " in their (Classic Industries) catalog.. But, regardless, I still like it... One small detail I liked over most of the China made units... This OER uses the Stock Mopar radiator caps !!! And I love the Barrel top tank !!!
As I said, I'm in the Arizona desert and have had no cooling problems (knock wood) with my 273 Commando 4Speed 65 Barracuda w/ 3:55 sure grip ...

I have had my OER aluminum Rad (made in USA) for a couple of years now and really like it... Cools my 65 Barracuda 273 Commando here in Phoenix Arizona just fine !!!
OER is also a Barrel top Rad... Same shape as the OEM top tank that came in our early A-Body !!! I also run the Milodon #16251 (iron 1964-69) High Volume, increased Performance water pump!!! View attachment 1715428283

What shroud is that? I see unique brackets to hold it on..? Guess im not the only crazy bastard to polish the blades on my fan. LOL

Last edited:
Also, I went with a radiator from Bob Mazzonlini. I think US Radiator is the make. Seems to be nice quality, dual 1.25" tubes. I like the formed tanks, similiar to how Cold Case makes theirs. I requested the -16AN & -20AN outlets, which they had no problem doing for me. When it comes to any fluid transfer, fuel, oil, coolant, hydraulics, I prefer to use -AN.

If Cold Case is willing to sub the -AN inlet/outlets for me, I'll order one from them for my other car...

F71-CDB46-0-E25-46-D8-8-ACE-C38-E713-FF991.jpg

7-C713960-F068-4-C99-8-C98-B3634-CE6-FE4-E.jpg

B20196-B6-0-DF9-402-A-ABB5-1-C894-ECE04-EC.jpg

65958-CF9-B91-A-4-D48-9-FCA-3252-E5-A9997-F.jpg

IMG-5961-1.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I went with a radiator from Bob Mazzonlini. I think US Radiator is the make. Seems to be nice quality, dual 1.25" tubes. I like the formed tanks, similiar to how Cold Case makes theirs. I requested the -16AN & -20AN outlets, which they had no problem doing for me. When it comes to any fluid transfer, fuel, oil, coolant, hydraulics, I prefer to use -AN.

If Cold Case is willing to sub the -AN inlet/outlets for me, I'll order one from them for my other car...

View attachment 1715434133

7-C713960-F068-4-C99-8-C98-B3634-CE6-FE4-E.jpg

View attachment 1715434134

View attachment 1715434135
The AN in/out is an upgrade we aren't doing at this time. The unit looks good. US radiator does not do 1.25" core that I know of. So that's either dual 1" or another brand. Hard to tell from the pic. If you can confirm 1.25" tanks, I think you are good to go. Good luck!

I forgot to ask. How much $$?

The AN in/out is an upgrade we aren't doing at this time. The unit looks good. US radiator does not do 1.25" core that I know of. So that's either dual 1" or another brand. Hard to tell from the pic. If you can confirm 1.25" tanks, I think you are good to go. Good luck!

I'll have to take it out of the box again! My car is in for paint, Vitamin C Orange! But I'll measure those tubes and verify. I'd love ya guys forever if you had that -AN option. Lots of manufactures offer that option for Brand X, but not for Mopar! I paid $550 including the extra Franklin for them to add the -AN in/out. One thing I didn't like, was their lack of fan shroud mount, not a huge deal, I'll roll my own. But I do like how your radiator takes the stock shroud.

If you had the -AN option, I think IMO, you'd be the perfect radiator company... :)

...Something to think about.

If you had the -AN option, I think IMO, you'd be the perfect radiator company... :)

...Something to think about.
You make a pretty compelling argument. :) I'm going to discuss this with the Product Managers to see if we could add this option.

What shroud is that? I see unique brackets to hold it on..? Guess im not the only crazy bastard to polish the blades on my fan. LOL
That shroud is a 1965 Factory option (with A/C or Heavy Duty Cooling) that came on my 'cuda... They were a Two piece steel (upper & lower) Fan Shroud... The OER radiator I got came with side brackets ...But... Not correct for my Factory 2 piece unit so I "made" brackets to adapt the shroud to the radiator without modifying the Shroud itself or even the aluminum radiator... (Just in case I ever went back to original radiator). As for the polished fan blades... I'm glad to hear I'm not the "Only" crazy bastard on here to do that !!! The blades are a lot more "shiny" now then when I took that photo... It's an ongoing project !!! LoL

Last edited:
-
Back