Radial Redlines On Stock Steel Wheels

-

68340fish

Reaction score
Just purchased a set of the new B.F.Goodrich RADIAL redline tires (P205/70R/14) that I plan on using on our stock '68 Barracuda 14"x5.5" steel wheels. The sticker on the tire warns about mounting radials on wheels that originally came with bias ply tires. The wheels are in very good condition, none bent or cracked. Has anyone had any problems or have any input on this issue? Thanks, John.

Dont have any experience but it's being done everyday...not everyone is running re-pop wheels w/ their new tires!

I think the concern is over whether or not the wheels have the grooves around the edge to hold the beads of the tires in place. I seem to remember reading that radial tires put more of a side load on the bead when cornering & therefore they can come unseated easier. I had a 1963 VW that didn't have the bead grooves in the rims. I put radials that were sized for a VW on the rims & had no problems. I have sometimes seen it said in literature that if there are no bead retention grooves in the rims then tubes are required in the tires.

Thanks '64 Cuda for the well thought out & informative reply!! Unlike previous smart a$$ reply from a different member:yawinkle:

the old 16.5" wheels dont have a locking bead either. ive never had any problems with them, but its a truck.

Sheesh...just meant to point out that it should be ok to use your combo. :sad1:
Didnt mean to be a smarta$$.

Thanks...so are you running the combo or undecided still? Post some pics when you got 'em!

Hoping bodywork & paint will be done by spring. Body color will be black with pearl white interior. Currently looking for the red plastic wheelhouse liners to really set off the Redlines. Cant wait to get it back together!

DSCF2798.jpg

I run radials on 14" X 5.5" mopar rally wheels (old rusty original ones I cleaned up and painted) and never had a problem.

The difference as to whether the rims have a bead lock feature is from the old, old days when tubeless tires where a new thing. About 50 - 60 years ago car tires normally had tubes inside of them. The rimes for tube type tire does not have a bead lock feature in the rim. All of the Mopars made in the era we are talking about (1960's) came from fatory with tubeless tires, so the rims have the beadlock on them.

Bob

The wheel looks good with that tire on it! I don't know if you want to hear this, but I think Layson's has the red plastic wheelwell liners.

The wheel looks good with that tire on it! I don't know if you want to hear this, but I think Layson's has the red plastic wheelwell liners.

Thanks. I'll post a question about those Layson's wheelhouse liners to see if anyone has tried them (quality-fit). I personally have had no problems with Layson's.

Hoping bodywork & paint will be done by spring. Body color will be black with pearl white interior. Currently looking for the red plastic wheelhouse liners to really set off the Redlines. Cant wait to get it back together!

WOW those look great!!!!!

-
Back