Radiator cover old style

-

plymouth1937

Reaction score
Trying to find any picture on the old way of covering the radioator in the winter to get engine temp up faster iv seen thees things a long time ago on old traktors thay are made from standing sheet metal strips its the mecaniks to Open and close id like to duplicate for my dodge truck it takes a long time to get some heat in the truck

I use a piece of cardboard.
Haha yes thats the easy way am kind of anal and want to do it the hard way id like to be able to regulate it from the driver seat and dont want the window shade type whid a looooong chain laying on the floor when in upright pos

Good luck making or finding something like that. I am a retired big truck driver, just make some type of cover that you can adjust. The vane system you refer to, we still covered the radiator with a snap on vinyl adjustable cover. Your thermostat should do the rest.

Knowing what you have, or at least the radiator size would help- "Dodge truck" leaves a lot to the imagination.
Try Googling "truck radiator shutters" for a sampling...

Get two sheets of perferated metal. Be sure the holes are large enough to flow enough air. But the space between the holes are big enough to block off the open holes then just slide one over the other to open the holes or block them off.

OR

Yyou could just let the thermostat do its job.

The radiator might have cold water in it but untill the thermostat opens that cold water will not be flowing through the block.

The thermostat will regulate the flow and cut it off if it gets below the temp.

-
Back