Radiator for 440 Duster (1971)

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what radiator to choose. Somewhere along the line someone modified my rad cradle area for a wider rad, so a 26" rad is no issue.

The only rads I see that is 'low' is the Champion 3 row but is only 22", and possibly too thick for fan clearance, the Griffin crossflow one, that has offset brackets creating the same issue where it won't clear a fan, a few other 'ebay' specials.

What are you guys using that has enough room for a fan? If I have to run electric fan(s) I will, I just hate them lol

I’m using a summit universal radiator. It’s a tight fit between the frame rails, but has worked well for years.
Summit Racing SUM-381428 Summit Racing™ Universal Fit Aluminum Radiators | Summit Racing
Because of the thickness of it, I am running a Meziere electric water pump, and a dual electric fan assembly off of a ‘99 Ford Contour.
You could probably get away with a standard water pump if you modified the fan shroud some.
1FCE590C-5747-455E-837C-70582FECE74F.jpeg

CbodyRadiatorinDartGTS.jpg
I use a C body 26" factory unit, dual slim fans and my Moroso electric pump fits right between the fans, much like the photo in post #2. Cheap way out.

Last edited:
Engineered Cooling Products ECP | No Gimmick Cooling Excellent quality and great prices, I have their 22" SBM radiator in my Duster and the 26" one in my '72 Dodge truck. Their selling point is their rads have 2 cores but each one is huge at 1" wide which they claim (and I trust) has more surface area than a 3-core at the same overall thickness.

Last summer I towed my Duster from Fort Collins to Fountain (good few steep grades with 65-75 mph speed limit) with that truck and it never got over about 210* even when ambient temps were close to 100*F. It has a 360 which is basically stock save for 4-bbl conversion and headers with true duals and there were times I had my foot to the floor for 15-20 seconds straight or more. Both vehicles have 195* thermostats btw.

I have the Champion 3 row with a factory shroud and factory mechanical fan. I run a 180 tstat and it keeps it under 185 all summer. If I sit in traffic in 90 degree heat, it gets up to about 200, but cools off once I get moving again.

DD02F7D0-758F-440F-83F1-F0F0D4D683FE.jpeg

-
Back