Radiator Hose Springs - Yes or No ?

-
I just experienced thi9s for the first time. I did a few laps at the track then trailer the car. 2 days later I go open the hood and see that both my upper and lower hoses are sucked shut....Its never done this before. I opened the radiator cap and the vacuum went away and the hoses opened. I did make 2 recent changes. I took out the thermostat and changed the radiator cap to a new Stant 16lb one. There is no heater core or thermostat bypass hose on this car. I have a weak electric fan and just wanted to see if no thermostat would help the car run cooler, and it did. Its just odd on the suction thing. Like the others, I'm for sure going to add in the spring. I have other issues but the spring sounds like a good idea regardless.

I say why not 2. Both my hoses were sucked shut after shutting off the car and letting it sit for a couple days. You will see my other post on this thread.
Even if the top hose spring does nothing, I'd rather have it than not.

I've said this a few times on these forums. The only reason that spring is in usually the bottom hose was for the fast vacuum fill on the assembly line at the factory. THE ONLY REASON! Usually there is something wrong in the cooling system if your hoses suck shut. I've never used a high volume or pressure pump, so I would suppose that could have some bearing on the situation. I worked in a Goodyear plant, and I remember the hoses that went to the car plant would have the spring in it but the same exact hose that went to the parts store did not have the spring. There was a dedicated job that the operator sat at a machine that coiled the springs, all different sizes, stainless, brass and galvanized wire. I actually asked an engineer one time about the spring and this is what he told me.

The coil is there so the lower hose can’t be sucked together. I remember when lower hoses came with them. Now, not so much, so I use a stainless steel tig rod and make my own

Ya, back in the day most of the lower hoses I sold at NAPA came with a stainless spring. Now I just get a stainless spring from an old sprinkler head and stretch it to length.

If you order the hose spring from pony parts, get 2 of them, 1 isn't long enough for the bottom hose. The handling and shipping charges run the $8.95 dollar hose up to $28. +. Get two.

I made my own spring from a roll of stainless wire I got long ago at Harbor Freight. The wire is used to wire-tie bolt heads in aircraft, but has many uses.

That would be Safety Wire. I have some .041, will see if I can wrap that around something and make a suitable spring.

-
Back