-
Status
Not open for further replies.

PostalBGraham

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm replacing my HiPo 273 with a 340 this spring. I need a radiator. The water pump on the 273 was on the right. The water pump on the 340 is on the left. Does anyone have a radiator with the lower opening on the left? I've shopped for new stuff, and I'm not finding much. I don't want an aluminum, I want something that would at least look correct. Laysons wants too much of my money. Maybe someone can point me in a different direction. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

If the 340 uses the later style front cover and timing marks that are on the driver's side, and even though the 273 water pump will bolt on, you may have some problem with setting the timing. You may not be able to see the marks. Perhaps change out the front cover and timing pointer (if it has one), from the 273 to the 340. A couple of gaskets and about an hour of time should give you what you're looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken
Edison, NJ

Going along with Wedgie...

You could buy a 273 style water pump from your local parts store. The old style timing covers had a bracket for the timing marks that used the bottom two bolts of the water pump to attach. You could use one of those and put a mark on the damper to mark TDC. I always fill in the line in the damper with white touch up paint or white out to make it more visible anyway. Then you could use your old radiator if it is still good.

Don't forget the fan shroud. It is needed to pull the air through the radiator properly with a good fan. the fan should be half in and half out of the shroud as a general rule of thumb for proper cooling.

If you are willing to buy a new radiator, the later water pump is aluminum vs cast iron for the old one. Then buy a radiator with the proper outlet locations and use the 340 set up.

You can make it work either way. It is your choice of whichever you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back