Radiator overflow bottle hoses

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
Im considering a 96 intrepid radiator overflow for my 64 dart. Instead of 2 lines, this one has three. The bottom one is where it fills right? Then the pre-bent one is the overflow or is it a vent hose and the other line the overflow? Dont unstand why there is three.

bdbd_1.jpg

8f0d_1.jpg

That type of tank if a pressure tank. Since the radiator is lower than the motor in an Intrepid you fill the radiator thru the tank. It won't work very well in your case unless you take the pressure cap off.

Chuck

So if i mounted this up high on my fenderwell, it wont work for me? Darn, ok, back to the drawing board.

That bottle will work (a mayonaise jar will work LOL).
You'll need to kill/ cap/ close the big heater hose line at the bottom and change the cap or just dummy it by removing seal , etc.. Then your overflow tube goes to either port and its overflow tube goes to spill.

OOps wait , depending on tube configuratio inside that bottle. Avoid air. Keep your overflow tubes end under water is the goal.

It should work. Plumb your radiator overflow hose to fitting in the bottom of the tank, use the top fitting to provide the venting and just ignore the pressure cap and it's related hose. It's purpose will only be to close up the top or a means to add coolant to the tank in this application.

i was just reading a book (how to build big cubic inch mopar smallblocks) that has a chapther on cooling. in this book it states that a overflow that has a top and a bottom hose works best to improve cooling. you run your over flow to the top of the of the bottle and then plum the bottom hose back into your cooing system. this way the coolant never remains in the overflow bottle it circulates and improves cooling.

So is this right? The circle marked "A" goes in through the bottom of the bottle. Do I have my overflow hose from the radiator go here? Then the area marked "B" I should have go down under the car, is this what you guys mean? Do I leave the the hose comming off the cap alone? Thanks

ab.jpg

Here is a pic of it in a car. Im considering putting it back closer to the firewall, but out of the way of the hood tension bars of course.

97 intrepid.jpg

I spose that will work. I'd still rather know if port marked 'B' has a siphon tube formed in the plastic inside the tank. I personally dont like the bottom port 'A" . Just another leak IMO.

So is this right? The circle marked "A" goes in through the bottom of the bottle. Do I have my overflow hose from the radiator go here? Then the area marked "B" I should have go down under the car, is this what you guys mean? Do I leave the the hose comming off the cap alone? Thanks

I finally installed a aftermarket reservoir in my 67.
3 red rubber caps added to the supplied hanger came from Lowes.
The black rubber 90 on the top came from Briggs & Straton.
I glued a rubber cap on the upper horns' center bolt so it doesn't rub a hole through side of the bottle ( not shown ).
Lower horn was bent toward the fender well for clearance.
I hope it works.

Attachments

• cr 3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 199
I found out yesterday that this little bottle works perfect with my 22 inch radiator. Fill level almost dead on its markings at full cold and full hot. A larger capacity radiator would require a larger capacity bottle.

Attachments

• cr 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 178
Any bottle will work as anon overflow bottle as long as the water from the radiator enters the bottom of the tank and there is a way for the overflow of the overflow tank to get out and to the ground. I used a 4" ABS tube to make mine. yes I still need to mount it right.

image.php

Does anyone know what year they changed to the overflow system?

-
Back